Fat Girls Can't

Fat Girls Can't

Whatever.

417
Fat Girls Can't
Hannah Strouse

Fat girls can't wear tight clothes, show their bodies, go to the gym, be sexy, have relationships, have sex, be successful, eat in public, ride a plane, be confident, be happy.

I have never been a small girl. I have always been at least a little hefty. I can remember in elementary school, we had to keep scrapbooks every year and they put our weight in our biography page. I was so embarrassed that the scale was showing me 107 pounds in second and third grade while everyone else saw nothing higher than 75 pounds. I was eight years old and already getting looks from adults that spoke volumes. I've received these same looks for my entire life. It was a crime to wear anything without shapewear underneath to hide my tummy lines or back fat. My pageant gowns and formal dresses were never too tight for fear the world might see *gasp* my body.

I spent a good amount of time obsessing over my weight, and I was skinny for a hot minute. I was 5'6" with a DDD chest weighing in at 140 pounds. How? I ate no more than 300 calories a day. If I did? I panicked and either added a workout or made myself sick. I was skinny. I was miserable. At the end of high school, I overcame it and on my senior graduation I weighed in at 260 pounds.

When I came to college, I realized that my own opinion was the only one that mattered when it came to my appearance. Now I'm a junior and I wear whatever I please.

First of all, let me debunk the "you shouldn't wear *particular article of clothing* if you weigh over *ridiculously low weight*" myth. I weigh 235 pounds currently and so do all of these lovely ladies. Do any of us look the same? No, because we are all different heights, shapes, backgrounds, athletic levels, and we all carry our weight differently. 235 pounds does not have one defined look, and neither does any other weight!

I have thrown all of my shapewear to the wind. Yes, I have tummy lines. Guess what? They're there before I put on my clothes. I am not going to try and change the appearance of my body shape while being extremely uncomfortable to look less fat. I wear tight clothes all of the time. That includes leggings, because I live in those. And guess what? I look good!

I can't wrap my head around the fact that people really think that fat people shouldn't go to the gym. Isn't the thought that you want fat people to not be fat? Yet you're shaming them for doing that very thing? I go to the gym regularly and I love it. I get a lot of weird looks from the gym jerks, but I am bettering myself. I'm not going to look more appealing, but I am going to make my body healthier!

We shouldn't have relationships? This also makes absolutely no sense. Not only am I in a relationship, but I'm married! My weight has never once phased him. As a matter of fact, even when I was still dating, I had very few guys not like me because of the way that I looked. I may look a certain way now, but my heart will be golden forever. If someone is too focused on your appearance, they're probably in the game for the wrong reasons anyway, find someone who appreciates all of you.

Fat people can't be sexy or have sex? First of all, sexy is different for everyone. I can be clothed from head to toe or be completely naked and still be sexy. I can take a very minimal picture and still be sexy. Sexy is whatever YOU want it to look like, so be sexy! As far as having sex? Who cares! Have sex. That person clearly thinks you're attractive so ignore the haters. So many of my friends complain that they have rolls when they lay in bed, but newsflash: Everyone gets rolls when they do that whether they're big or small.

Eating in public, flying (or any method of public transportation), and being successful I'm just going to group together. Most of these are required in life. I don't have pictures of me eating in public just because that isn't a time that I selfie, my food is too precious for that. Traveling is just something that has to be done sometimes, and that is fine. I was a little nervous about it but it was totally fine! Me and everyone I got sat with were on the bigger side but we managed and it was just peachy! If your goal isn't to be successful, then what are you doing? You're here for a reason, and every day is a mini victory! Do what you have to so you can get where you can! These are all life requirements.

Lastly, happiness and confidence should never depend on anyone but yourself. You will never be happy if you are constantly worrying about what others think. I sit here and read all of these things on social media, and even hear it in real life, and I just laugh. Nine times out of 10, I will purposely do whatever fat people "can't" do, because I CAN do it and I am not just a fat person. I am all of the things that society thinks I shouldn't be and that's great, because I am slowly breaking that stereotype and that glass ceiling. Fat girls CAN. Be yourself. BeYOUtiful. Be happy. From a fat girl to all other fat girls or any girl who needed to read this. You're enough.