A Farewell To Freshman Year

A Farewell To Freshman Year

30 pounds, two roommates, and 36 credit hours later...

118
A Farewell To Freshman Year
David J. Wright

As finals are approaching, I've been super busy with writing papers, packing my things for move-out and eating my feelings because of stress. I only have 9 days left until I'm done with the semester, and I haven't really had the time to stop and think about how my freshman year went. I'm actually going to miss it, which shocks me since it could be so overwhelming at times. But I've truly had a wonderful year and I hope my next three years are filled with just as much success, if not more.

My first semester was the one that many college kids could only dream of. I studied my head off, spending endless hours on the sixth floor of Roesch Library to get my papers done for International Politics, Core and Spanish. I arrived back home with a sense of pride and a 4.0 my first semester.

While I wasn't too involved with clubs, I still met so many new people, some of whom I still talk to every day. I also spent a lot of my time at the gym, which wouldn't have happened if I hadn't learned of my low HDL cholesterol from my doctor. Since I moved in last August, I've lost over 30 pounds and dropped almost two whole pants sizes. I never expected that to happen, and I'm incredibly proud of myself for what I've achieved.

While I'm likely going to walk out of this semester with all A's, it wasn't a walk in the park like the fall. I got hit with so many things at once; homesickness and anxiety were the big ones. February and March were incredibly hard to get through just because I missed home so much and my stress levels were so high for what seemed like no reason.

I got hit with a bunch of different illnesses; two bouts of the flu, a sinus infection, a cold, an ear infection and now there's a possibility I'll have to have surgery on my ears. The second semester dragged on, and it still seems like it is, but I've still managed to maintain my healthy exercise habits and lose weight, as well as excel in my academics.

Before I started college, I was extremely nervous about what to expect, in terms of academics, campus life (did everyone party?), living in a dorm and getting involved. A month before move-in, I learned that I would be living with two random roommates instead of one, and it made me a little uneasy. I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy living in a residence hall.

Would I have noisy neighbors? What about fire alarms? (We've probably had 40 of those this school year, and that's not an exaggeration.) I was completely wrong. I love my roommates, Maya and Scarlett. They're genuinely kind people who you can go to if you're having a bad day, and also smart and talented.

I can't wait to see what the future has for them. The girls in my wing and my RA are wonderful people. We've grown together, and I've really enjoyed my time in Marycrest 7SE. From our Christmas decoration contest with the other floors to our many (boring) floor meetings to cramming for the Core exam, it's been wonderful.

My journey with weight loss has really helped me understand how important a healthy lifestyle is, especially in college. The Freshman 15 is a real thing, and I'm sure many freshmen at UD have been struck by it. Just watching what you eat, walking to class and going to the gym at least a couple times per week can keep you in shape and even help you lose a few pounds.

Before college, I could barely run half a mile and I got winded easily. Now, I can easily run a mile on the treadmill in 11 minutes, I can do almost 150 pounds on the leg press, and I can squat close to 100 pounds. I wasn't blessed with the Freshman Negative 30; I worked for it.

My freshman year has also helped me realize just how important mental health is in college. Anxiety has always been a struggle for me, but it really hit me hard in the middle of this semester. I almost didn't recognize myself, it was so bad. Mental health can really impact your academics if you're not careful; luckily, I was still able to get my work done and do well on it.

Self-care is one thing that really helped me relieve stress and anxiety. Just take a few minutes out of your day to meditate, do deep breathing, put on a face mask, watch an episode of your favorite show or take a hot shower. While school is definitely important, you cannot let it rule your life.

And above all, freshman year showed me just how close I am with my family. When my anxiety was bad, I had a really bad bout of homesickness. Being thrown back on campus after the long winter break, along with the dismal weather, made it really hard to adjust back to college life. I would call my parents every day, and I still do.

I even found myself missing my younger brothers, which was strange considering the fact that all they do when I'm home is fight. College made me appreciate the little things that I had at home; cooking with Dad, taking the dogs for a walk around the block, helping Mom around the house and playing FIFA 17 or watching funny YouTube videos with the boys.

While college is great in its own ways; the independence, the opportunities for learning, the people you meet and sometimes even the food, nothing beats being home. And I cannot wait until May 3, when I walk out of my Oral Comm final and jump for joy because my mom's coming to help me move out and go home.