5 College Myths That Actually Aren't True At All
Education

Don't believe your high school teachers when they say ALL college professors are strict.

236
Kate Nystrom

Before coming to college, I was under the impression that my life was going to become a lot harder than it had previously been. I had heard so many stories about how hard all my classes were going to be, that I was never going to get any sleep, and my professors were going to be impossible human beings to crack. While this is partially true, college was not what I expected at all when I came to Appalachian State my freshman year. Sure, professors are difficult, but movies and my high school teachers made them sound way worse than they actually are. TV and media make college look like it's full of crazy, uncontrollable parties, impossible teachers, and lazy students. However, after being in college for two years, I know that my preconceptions of college are simply not true.

1. Professors will lock the door on you if you're late to an exam

I mean, I'm sure this has happened to people before. However, I've seen people show up late to exams and the professor will just hand them the exam and tell them 'good luck'. It probably depends on the type of professor you have, but this is something I've never actually seen happen. But you should still make sure you show up to your classes on time, you don't want to risk anything!

2. All professors are the same

I feel like I've seen it all when it comes to professors. I've had professors who have strict attendance policies, insanely hard tests, and impossible standards. However, I've also had professors who have emailed me saying 'I don't want to have class today, see you next week.' When I was in high school, my senior year teachers would always give my classes lectures on how 'professors don't care about you when you get to college'. Frankly, that's also not true. If you make yourself known to a professor, they will definitely care. Plus, who else is supposed to write recommendation letters for you?

3. Your major defines your entire future

Gifer

One thing I love about college is that, for the most part, everyone is in the same boat. What I mean by this is that NOBODY has a clue what they're doing with their lives; it's not just you. For the most part, a college degree is the key to get you a job after graduating. Depending on what your major is, some jobs/companies really don't care what kind of degree you have. I know people that have graduated with one major, and their job doesn't add up to what they do for a living at all. It's comforting to know it's not just you!

4. The freshman 15 will definitely get you 

If anything, I'd say it's more of a 'freshman 5' than a 'freshman 15'. No matter how good you think you may eat, bad food and drink choices will always be constantly surrounding you in college. However, as long as you don't go overboard with terrible food, you'll be fine. It gets so much better when you live in an apartment and you can cook your own food instead of relying on a dining hall for all your food options.

5. All college students are lazy and party all the time

Some people I've met in college are some of the most driven individuals that I know. Sure, college students like to have their fun and relax, but we're all in college for the same purpose: to get an education and a degree. It's hard to be lazy and pass all of your classes!