13 High School Myths About College That Absolutely Are Not True

There's just some things that YouTube dorm tours and Pinterest boards don't tell you about college.

167
Unsplash.com

If you are about to become a college freshman in the fall, listen up real close because there's some things that no one has been completely honest with you about. Trust me, I was just like you two years ago. I believed every little thing that high school teachers and adults told me about college, and in the last two years the majority of these myths have been debunked time and time again. So for your own benefit, here's the advice you really should hear before packing everything up and heading away to embark on the next chapter of your life.

1. You don't need a TI-84 calculator

Okay, I really have no earthly idea who told us in middle school that we absolutely needed a 100 dollar calculator. Yeah, I used it some in high school but the majority of the classes I've taken thus far in college haven't allowed me to use them. For my stats class I actually had to go out and buy a cheap, throw-away calculator from Walgreen's because my professor prohibited the use of scientific calculators of any form. Honestly, it's mostly for the fact that they're so fearful of people cheating they do anything they can to keep students from having easy access to technology that stores information.

2. Multiple choice tests ARE a thing

I took IB classes in high school where they swore up and down that there would only be one or two times during my college career I would have multiple choice exams. Trust me when I say every single one of my finals this semester has some form of multiple choice component to it, even my math final. Honestly, I have no clue why someone would believe this because the only time I've had an exam that WASN'T multiple choice was in math and history. So don't worry the art of bubbling in insanely small bubbles is not completely lost just yet.

3. MLA format is not the ONLY format you write in

If I am completely honest I have no clue how the heck to write in MLA format anymore. I NEVER use it, haven't once since I've been in college and that's even including the semester I took the required English class at my university. Now, I do have a couple friends who have used it once or twice, but mostly APA and Chiacgo style are the forms I find myself writing in.

4. Your profs could care less if you’re on your phone in class

It's your loss if you don't catch all the notes and they don't post the class slides. That's all that needs to be said here. A professor isn't going to stop a 50 minute lecture just for one person to get off their phone, it's not worth their time.

5. Attendance is ACTUALLY taken

No, attendance isn't taken in a lot of college classes, but there are a good portion that factor in participation and attendance for your final grade. Also, even if the lecture notes are posted after class or your friend sends you the notes you missed, so much information is covered in one lecture that you'd be insanely stupid to skip unless severely ill or you have a pretty good excuse.

6. You can turn in things late

Deadlines are your responsibility, not your professors. If you don't turn something in on time your grade is what suffers. Yes, some professors won't allow it, but majority care enough to not want you to fail your class that they'll just deduct points for every day or hour that the assignment is late.

7. Your professors don't only see you as a number

If you act like they only view you as a number then, yes, they will view you as a number. But there are so many opportunities to get to know your professors and actually build a relationship with them, starting with office hours. Professors want students to reach out to them and show that they are actually putting in some effort to do well in their class. I can't tell you the number of times I've gone to office hours and found myself talking to the professor about something completely unrelated to the class just because we get side tracked. They care about you, but they have hundreds of other students so if you don't put in the effort they aren't going to either. Also, professors make for stellar letters of recommendation later on, remember that!

8. Every class isn't a lecture style class

Coming into college I honestly thought I would be in 200 person classes for every single one of my classes, but I learned fairly quickly that just isn't true. Yes, there are a lot of lecture style classes where there could easily be 300 people in it, but I've had classes where there have been 20 people in it. It mostly just depends on what class it is and the level of the class itself (a lot of the higher level classes are fairly small).

9. Partying/sororities aren't then end all be all

College definitely has its own culture which revolves predominantly around frat row and pictures of red solo cups, but that isn't all that college is. College has so many different things to offer that don't involve Greek letters or a hangover that lasts until Monday. For instance, movie nights or just going out to eat with friends are two of my favorite ways to spend Friday nights. I have nothing against anyone in a Panhellenic society or who goes out to party, for me I just wanted more out of college than nights I won't ever remember.

10. IB classes AREN'T better for college

Two years I spent slaving over school work to only receive three credit hours coming into college. Three hours, that's it. I know it depends on the school you attend because I could have just as easily gone to FSU and gone in as a junior, but I didn't know that at the time. So while it does help with time management to some degree that's about all it did for me. It didn't really prepare me for exams or the caliber of work I was stepping into, and it definitely didn't help me to get ahead in relation to my AP counterparts.

11. Free time Isn't a thing

Whether it's spending hours upon hours in the library or doing something for the 17 different organizations you're a part of something is always vying for your time and attention. They're all great things that you're involved in, it just sucks that there is very little time in your day to relax and just be.

12. A lot of times assignments do get done the night before

Maybe this doesn't hold true for most people, but a lot of the time I have so many assignments due within the same week that I find myself cranking out papers the night before in a desperate attempt to get them done in time. It's not always the best method, but the truth is that a lot of times it stems back to the fact that you're being pulled every which way that the night before is the only time you have to get it done. Yes, procrastination is a thing, but it goes so much deeper than that.

13. C's don't always get degrees

I don't know who started this myth but they obviously didn't go to college for very long. At UNC there is a specific place on our academic worksheets where it says that we have to have at least a B- in 18 hours of our major, which is a lot when you're in a major that's 27 hours. To put it another way, six of the nine classes in your major have to be above a C to graduate with a degree in that major (the same policy holds true for minors). So having all C's won't get you to graduation day in most cases.

Now, I know a lot of people are going to say how their school is different and how I'm wrong about a lot of these things, but I am one person who goes to one university so I'm speaking from my personal experiences. I am aware that each school is different and that changes a lot of these "myths" but the fact of the matter is that no matter what you were told in high school about college, chances are it probably isn't true. So there you have it, the truth about college from someone who is still learning the ropes two years in.