Falling Back In Love With Christ

Falling Back In Love With Christ

It's easy to leave your faith at home when you go to college, but it's rewarding when you pack your faith and bring it with you.

50
Falling Back In Love With Christ

I have always had a problem with the church. Some of the churches I went to were all about religion and less about Jesus. I think for the longest time I hated going to church because I did not want to be a person who judges someone for having tattoos or go to a place where women have no right to voice their opinion. I remember thinking, "If this is what church is like, then I don't like it."

I do not think I found a church that I actually loved until the summer I was about to leave for college. My family switched churches and for the first time I felt at home. I did not feel like I had to act prim and proper, and I felt free to be me despite of not being perfect as a person. This congregation was the first group of people who accepted you whether or not you had a nice Sunday outfit, or jeans and a plain t shirt.

Once I left for college I stopped going to church unless I went home to visit. I was so afraid that I would end up in the same situation where I hated the church and I would lose my love for Jesus again. So for my first semester in college, I did not go to church or even participate in bible studies on campus.

I had this mindset that if I went home and went to church then that would be okay. Little did I know that not bringing my faith from home to college was a mistake. After Christmas break, I hit rock bottom. Two of my friends left Hanover and I felt alone. I was also dealing with stress with my previous roommate and I just clashing we had such different lifestyles that it just did not flow well together. I have never felt so low in my life before. I wanted to give up and transfer schools because I was broken. I did not have the motivation to continue school.

One of my hallmates told me to come to Delight, which is a women's ministry located on many college campuses.At first I fought going because I was so mad at God. I was mad at him for everything He was putting me through, but for some reason I went. After that first night of going, something changed. I went back to my dorm and I cried because I realized God had never left me, but I had left God.

After that night of going to Delight, I went back every Thursday. I started to restore my faith in God again and for the first time I fell back in love with God. I realized that me being broken was needed to fix me. Without hitting that low I might not have ever notice the true power of God fixing my heart to become new again.

I was excited. I started listening to more of KLove and every Thursday after Delight I just felt the need to share the word with people. I was growing, I did not know it then, but I can see it now that my freshmen year is almost over.

I thought that God was done changing me, but He had a few more tricks up his sleeve. I ended up going to the Outcry Tour in Lexington, KY with Delight and that night was the night I gave myself back to Christ. I was baptized as a child, but that was mostly for my parents. Now it was for me wanting to do this for myself.

Looking back, I realized that I can't just keep my faith at home and not bring it to campus. I've also learned that I was only a Christian on the surface, but I was not one deep down in my soul. It was okay to talk about being a Christian, but I never truly practiced it.

Now that I have accepted Christ again I know that I will stumble and I am going to fall, but I know that I fell back in love with Christ again, and I am ready to take on whatever is thrown at me.