Fall, Where Art Thou?

Fall, Where Art Thou?

When will fall arrive in Mississippi? Not anytime soon surprisingly...

2820
Fall, Where Art Thou?
Odyssey

If you've walked around Mississippi State, or even looked out the window in the last month, you've seen signs of...summer? Browning grass, dried out dirt patches, and trees full of leaves are not what you'd expect to see as November is knocking on the door, yet here we are.

Unseasonably warm temperatures across the Southeast have many scrambling, wondering if we've fast forwarded past three seasons, and returned to the heat of late August into early September. Saturday's kickoff temperature for Mississippi State's homecoming football game versus Samford hit 88 degrees, something not seen at Davis Wade Stadium since the opening game against South Alabama.

Relief is not close in sight either. Temperatures for the first week of November are expected to remain in the 80s, and while the high dew points and humidity of summer may have subsided, it's jarring nonetheless. Typically, temperatures in Starkville this time of year should be in the low 70s for highs, continuing to drop into November. Instead, everyone is left wondering when fall will really show up.

We had a brief interlude of fall-like weather earlier in October, with temperatures in the 60s and 70s, and dropping to lows in the 30s and 40s in the overnight hours. People on campus started breaking out the sweats, jeans, and flannels, and were ready to see those vibrant fall colors those in the north have been enjoying. But Mother Nature had other plans, and we are left waiting, longing, and wondering when will the fall weather arrive?