12 Fascinating Facts About Felines
Nature Animals

12 Fascinating Facts About Felines

5,000 years after their reign in Egypt, they're ready to rule again.

146
https://unsplash.com/photos/LH-NYOZmENI

We love cats. They're cute, weird and have unique personalities. They can also be mysterious and hide secret abilities behind their adorable facade. I could try to convince you that there is some moral lesson about understanding our feline companions better, improving our ability to care for them properly and ultimately deepening our respect for the animal kingdom, but I know you're just here for the cute kitty pics. And, let's be real, that's really why I'm writing this too.

Some cats have freckles.

photos.app.goo.gl

The freckles that appear on lips, gums, noses, and sometimes eyelids and ears are actually a harmless condition called lentigo. It's almost exclusively found in cats that have some kind of orange in their fur, though it can appear in cream or silver colored cats as well. Unlike humans, the freckles will not darken or grow from sun exposure.

Cats don't meow at each other.

media.giphy.com

Typically, adult cats use other forms of communication when interacting with one another. Meowing is normally reserved for kittens expressing their needs to their mother, fighting with each other and talking to us.

Cats manipulate us.

media.giphy.com

Cats have perfected how to act around us to get what they need and want. They even change the frequency of their purrs and meows to solicit responses from us. You may have been trained by your cat and not even realize it. All hail our feline rulers.

Purring may be a way for cats to self-heal.

media.giphy.com

The science isn't entirely settled on how and why cats purr. Obviously, cats usually purr when they are happy and well, but they may also purr when they are in pain or frightened. There is a theory that one of the reasons cats purr when they are in pain is because the frequency of sound produced by purring is known to promote bone density and healing.

Cats can drink salt water.

media.giphy.com

While freshwater is definitely better, cats can drink salt water to sustain themselves if they have to. Their kidneys, unlike ours, have the ability to filter out the salt to allow them to get hydration from salt water. Amazing!

Cats are considered an invasive species.

media.giphy.com

While your cuddly, overweight indoor cat may not seem like much of a threat, domestic cats are considered one of the top 100 invasive species. They are not native to North America and can have a significant impact on the local wildlife (particularly birds) when they are left to roam freely outside. When a cat's hunting instincts kick in, they don't discriminate against endangered species and, unfortunately, contribute to a decline in native populations.

A cat's nose print is unique.

media.giphy.com

Just like a human's fingerprint, cats (and dogs!) have a unique pattern of tiny bumps on their noses. Maybe one day we'll be scanning nose boops instead of implanting microchips.

Cats have a righting reflex.

media.giphy.com

Ever heard that cats always land on their feet? It's not just an old saying, it's (mostly) true. Cats have a righting reflex which allows them to instinctively know which way is up and turn their body mid-air in order to land safely on the ground. Depending on the circumstances and the cat's physical well-being, they may not always land on their feet so please don't start purposefully dropping your cat. It's not nice.

Cats can't taste sweetness.

Unique among mammals, cats can't taste the flavor of sweet. Probably because their diet is basically just meat, sweet hasn't been a taste they've needed to develop. Can you imagine a life without a sweet tooth?

Cats can detect earthquakes before humans.

There are some reports of cats (and other animals) predicting earthquakes minutes, days, and even weeks before anything happens. There is no supporting evidence that this is true. However, it is likely that cats can sense the P waves of an earthquake (which humans cannot) before the larger S wave, causing them to react seconds before we feel any tremors. And just so you know, none of the cats shown in the video above were harmed by the earthquake.

Humans and cats have identical regions in our brains.

Our brains are more similar than you may have once thought. We have many of the same regions, including our emotional center. We always knew cats were fiercely intelligent.

Cats exercise.

media.giphy.com

Cats use their bodies and energy to hunt for their food. Since domestic cats have food provided for them, they have excess energy and will spazz out in an attempt to exercise. It may not be going to the gym, but it works. If you find your cat doing this a lot or at unwanted times, takes some time to play with them until they're worn out.

Cats have always been one of my favorite animals. They're interesting, funny, secretly vicious fluffs that deserve our love and attention. Bonus fact: They're definitely organizing a coup through the power of the internet and will only spare the ones they love, so you better be nice to Mr. Cattington.