30 F. Scott Fitzgerald Quotes Every Woman Needs In Her Roaring 20s

It's the best time to be a beautiful little fool

842
Photo by Courtney Cook on Unsplash

Although F. Scott Fitzgerald was nowhere close to being a feminist, his writing includes many quotes that women in their teens, 20s, and beyond have experienced before. It is comforting to know that some feelings are universal. That our pain is not our pain alone, and the things we find beautiful are things that are shared by other women all over the world. The world is ours to explore, to love in, and to party on. Live your life for you, not some guy. You got this.

1. "You know I'm old in some ways--in others--well, I'm just a little girl. I like sunshine and pretty things and cheerfulness--and I dread responsibility."

2. "It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living."

3. "I hope she'll be a fool -- that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool."

4. "I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer."

5. "A great social success is a pretty girl who plays her cards as carefully as if she were plain."

6. "I hope something happens. I'm restless as the devil and have a horror of getting fat or falling in love and growing domestic."

7. "Later she remembered all the hours of the afternoon as happy -- one of those uneventful times that seem at the moment only a link between past and future pleasure, but turn out to have been the pleasure itself."

media.giphy.com

8. "I wasn't actually in love, but I felt a sort of tender curiosity."

media.giphy.com

9. "What'll we do with ourselves this afternoon? And the day after that, and the next thirty years?"

10. "I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library.

Libraries on Sunday afternoons are full of hungover college students. Most of them are talking about everything that happened over the weekend rather than actually studying.

11. "She smiled at him, making sure that the smile gathered up everything inside her and directed it toward him, making a profound promise of herself for so little, for the beat of a response, the assurance of a complimentary vibration in him."

"I won't kiss you. It might get to be a habit and I can't get rid of habits."

13. "All I kept thinking about, over and over, was 'You can't live forever; you can't live forever.'"

Infinite moments in finite lives.

"She was feeling the pressure of the world outside and she wanted to see him and feel his presence beside her and be reassured that she was doing the right thing after all." 

15. "I don't just want words. If that's all you have for me, you'd better go."

You can't just say "I care about you" and then make no effort to show that. I deserve more.

"Tired, tired with nothing, tired with everything, tired with the world's weight [s]he had never chosen to bear."

"The loneliest moment in someone's life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly."

"I couldn't forgive him or like him, but I saw that what he had done was, to him, entirely justified. It was all very careless and confused."

"No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart."

"I shall go on shining as a brilliantly meaningless figure in a meaningless world."

"Her face was sad and lovely with bright things in it, bright eyes and a bright passionate mouth, but there was an excitement in her voice that men who had cared for her found difficult to forget."

"First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, and then the drink takes you."

"And I like large parties. They're so intimate. At small parties there isn't any privacy."

"'You'll find another.' God! Banish the thought. Why don't you tell me that 'if the girl had been worth having she'd have waited for you?' No, sir, the girl really worth having won't wait for anybody."

"Here's to alcohol, the rose colored glasses of life."

"It's not that life is complicated, it's the struggle to guide and control life."

"It was always the becoming [s]he dreamed of, never the being."

"I fell in love with her courage, her sincerity, and her flaming self respect. And it's these things I'd believe in, even if the whole world indulged in wild suspicions that she wasn't all she should be. I love her and it is the beginning of everything."

"Don't let yourself feel worthless: often through life you will really be at your worst when you seem to think best of yourself; and don't worry about losing your "personality," as you persist in calling it: at fifteen you had the radiance of early morning, at twenty you will begin to have the melancholy brilliance of the moon."

"I'm not sure what I'll do, but-- well, I want to go places and see people. I want my mind to grow. I want to live where things happen on a big scale."

So girls, when you're feeling down, just remind yourself that you are Daisy, even without a Gatsby.