Note To Self...

Note To Self...

Only you can dictate your happiness, it's personal

9
Note To Self...

"A melhor coisa na vida e a alegria"…

Translated from my mother's native language, "the best thing in life is happiness."

It takes a lot to take a step back and ask whether you are happy. Not a lot of people can honestly answer this question because they don't know the depths of its meaning. I can easily tell you I am happy, but for me to actually feel this is a completely different story. The importance in life is not money, fame, and status. And no matter how many times we hear that statement: we still strive to be rich, we continue trying to get some sort of recognition, and constantly yearn to impress others with our socio-economic status.

In all truth, being happy is rather complex, for my content in this world is most likely a whole different ball game for the kid around the corner that plays basketball and listens to rock music. My point? Everyone is different, but then again, I'm just stating the obvious. We all want to reach some sort of elation and this is hard considering the constant feats and battles we face. But doing so shouldn’t be as challenging as it is. Being happy is not hard, yet we make it extremely difficult.

Let's start with how we treat each other... indecent and to some extent inhumane. We all act as if there's this unprecedented notion that we should be placed on a pedestal. Human beings tear each other apart in just two seconds so that we can feel better about ourselves. In reality, that's where the first problem to our happiness is hindered. Seriously, how can any sort of contentment be reached when everyone around you is negative and out to better themselves while knocking you down? Now don’t get me wrong, I am most certainly not pessimistic, in fact, I try to be positive in every situation, but I've noticed that the majority of people out there are negative and let the smallest obstacles damper their spirits. And that's another obstacle we need to overcome. In truth, I don’t have all the answers as to how members of society can reach some sort of enlightenment and just be happy. But I do know that it starts with the individual first.

Happiness, in another sense, pertains to the way we live our lives. For the most part, the majority of people are always on the go, meaning it's very rare that people take time for reflection, independent thinking, etc. Furthermore, ask yourself how often you see someone not on their phone 24/7 or using some sort of social media. Also question whether or not you live in the moment, rather than being distracted by aspects of your life that are completely incoherent. The point here is that people, even myself, often allow personal matters, and especially technology, to get in the way of the present, which is a huge waste of time. According to Eric Kandel, a neuroscientist and Nobel prize winner, human beings cannot truly learn anything by distractions. He states that "The richness of our thoughts, our memories, and even personalities hinges on our ability to focus the mind and sustain concentration." That being said, remaining focused is one of the fundamental pieces of happiness, which more often than not, people neglect this factor and suffer the consequences thereafter.

Overall, there is no said solution out there to be happy. It's not as simple as a visit to the doctor where you're quickly diagnosed and have medication readily available. What we need to take away from life is what it actually gives us. The importance is to stop judgments, take the time to slow down and focus on the present, and do whatever we want and need to sustain an enjoyable life.

With all doubts and hardships, humans are influenced to feel displeased and upset. But there are indeed aspects of our lives that we should most certainly appreciate. In hindsight, the best thing in life truly is happiness...