join campus clubs

Top 4 Reasons To Join A Club On Campus

Don't miss out on the opportunities college has to offer.

19
Top 4 Reasons To Join A Club On Campus
Photo by Alexis Brown on Unsplash

At the University of Central Florida, we have a club for just about everything. From Pokémon and Harry Potter to a puppy training club and no less than 10 dance clubs. There's even a club for American Sign Language. Not to mention the many clubs that focus on specific fields. Each of these clubs offers a chance to learn new things and expand your college experience. Here are four reasons to encourage you to join a club if you haven't already, or to explore more options if you already did.

1. Expand your horizons and learn new skills.

Thomas Drouault

Joining a club gives you the opportunity to interact with like-minded people and share insights on things in a broader way than you can in a classroom. There is less pressure, so you will not be as fearful of making mistakes and by that, you will be able to improve your understanding. Depending on the type of club you decide to join, if it's one that is skill based, you will have the opportunity to learn new skills that you wouldn't have otherwise. They might be just fun things to learn, but in some cases, they could help with your class or future jobs. If you join a club that's not focused on skill training, you will still have the opportunity to gain a greater understanding of things and broaden your knowledge or show off your skills. This provides an opportunity to get more out of your college experience that would be helpful for your future, practically and on your resume.

2. Networking.

Helena Lopes

This is one of those things that I think is underrated in college. The significance of networking, making connections with people, is so important for opening up opportunities that could help you in getting an internship or a job. Isn't that why we're all here in college for? When you join a club, in many cases, you become part of this exclusive group which may have access to people in higher places, allowing you to network with them, something you wouldn't have been able to do otherwise.

If you take on a leadership role in a club, that could give you more opportunities to access the "right" people which could help with getting you to the next level. Being part of a club also gives you a talking point to start a conversation with that person you're trying to access and makes you stand out. It gives you something to brag about and use when you're networking or talking to a professional, which provides you an edge over someone who isn't part of a club.

3. Gain new friends.

Alexis Brown

This is one of the things I love about joining a club. Most of us will choose a club that offers something interesting to us or that we will want to understand, so chances are that we meet others that share the same interests. In this setting, you're bound to meet new people and make new friends. This is especially useful for introverts as this opens up a possible conversation starter without the pressure of class, and in a more comfortable setting.

4. Leadership experience.

Brooke Lark

For this, you'll need to actually join the e-board or take on a leadership position in your club. That is usually not a big deal if you're paying your club dues and attending club meetings or activities. But it requires some passion for the club you want to lead or become a part of.

Any leadership role in a club will give you a chance to gain real-world skills that you can apply to your future job or internship. It's another thing you can add to your resume and gain bragging rights for. You will be able to improve skills on things like time management, using different tools to contact people or keep track of members, budgeting, and presentation. These are only a small part of what will need to be done in any club, but there are much more possible things you could gain training in just by taking on a leadership role in a club. You will also have the opportunity to create your own things as well.

Finally.

If none of the options of clubs available interest you, you can create one by yourself. All it takes is a few months and filing some forms to get it done. It isn't very complicated as long as you can find enough people that like the idea and a faculty member to back it. But, at least at UCF, I think there are plenty of clubs available that you'll easily find one that interests you. So why not give it a try? Join a club and get all these great benefits!