The Evolution of a Screaming Fan

The Evolution of a Screaming Fan

80
The Evolution of a Screaming Fan

With every generation comes a singer or a band that creates hysteria-filled screams among teenage girls. A scream brings along implications of a strong psychological aspect, such as surprise, fear, or even happiness. With the case of these hormonal fans, however, screams indicate a sense of community and belonging. By screaming at a concert with your girlfriends, you are releasing a sense of your own individuality, releasing your trapped emotions, and denying society's expectation of proper behavior. At the same time, you're belonging to a group with one collective identity. Throughout the ages, these are the performers who have arguably evoked the biggest response from their adolescent audiences.

1940's: Frank Sinatra

The iconic blue-eyed crooner was perhaps the inventor of wild female fans. There were called the “Bobbysoxers" for their rolled-to-the-ankle white socks. For Sinatra's 1942 debut solo concert performance at the Paramount Theater in New York, the Bobbysoxers flocked in numbers. Nobody had ever heard an audience scream like that before.

1950's: Elvis

The irresistible heartthrob, with his jet-black pompadour and swinging hips, caused female fans to go wild. It wasn't only his never-before-seen dance moves with sexual implications, but his voice that evoked a response from his audience. Elvis is regarded as one of the best singers of all time, just listen to “Love me Tender" and you'll understand. Maybe it'll just make you scream.

1960's: The Beatles

Beatlemania was the 1960's. When these cute, long-haired British gents from Liverpool arrived in America and performed on the Ed Sullivan show, a new generation of wild teenage fans was in full swing. The Beatles were less masculine than previous idols, such as Elvis, and thus less fearful to young teenage girls. They were the types of boys you could bring home to mom and dad. After all, they did wear suits.

1970's: The Jackson Five

Afros and funky, bright patterned jumpsuits were all the rage in this decade. A certain band of brothers called The Jackson Five became Motown's best-selling group. The Jackson Five was perhaps the original boy band, spawning its own “Jacksonmania". Whenever The Jackson Five hit the stage and performed their hit song “ABC", the ladies went wild, especially when young Michael Jackson yelled, “Sit down girl! I think I love you!".

1980's: Bon Jovi

The 1980's where a decade of arena rock and big hair. Jon Bon Jovi brought just what his screaming fans just what they wanted to see: his beautiful gold hair, his entrancing smile, and his passionately loud vocals, with that amazing range. There's just something about a rockstar, especially one who has been married to his high school sweetheart of 25 years, that just makes you want to scream.

1990's: Backstreet Boys/ N'Sync

The 90's brought an influx of boy bands with it, including the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync. I won't argue about which is better. The point is, what is it about boy bands that causes teens to scream? Perhaps it has to do with their perfectly synchronized dance moves, and the sheer hope that your favorite member will notice you at last. “I like the shy one!".

2000's: The Jonas Brothers

In the mid 2000's, the Jonas Brothers became popular using the marketing power of the Disney Channel. Every tween watched the Disney Channel, therefore every tween knew about this trio of dark-haired pop-rock brothers. If you and your BFF managed to marry two of them, you could be sisters! Your favorite was either Nick Jonas or Joe Jonas (sorry Kevin).

2010's: One Direction

Finally, we've reached the group that arguably evokes the most screams out of teenage girls all across the land today. Whether it's Harry Style's signature sweepy hairdo, or the mysterious Zayn Malik (who is no longer with the band, sadly), today's teens are obsessed with this English-Irish band. It's the Beatlemania of today's generation, like it or not.