Everything Wrong With "The Secret Life Of The American Teenager"

Having a baby in high school made Amy Jeurgens popular.

2584
Pog Design

Perhaps the most uncomfortable show of our lifetimes, "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" brought about sex education, juicy secrets and drama to last a lifetime. But with any teen drama series, there are a few discrepancies we see in the show from real life.

Nobody locks their doors.

Whether its Adrienne barging into Ricky's, Ricky walking into Amy's, or Amy sneaking into Ben's, for some odd reason the people on this show did not feel the need to lock their doors... ever. It's even more disturbing to think that Adrienne never locked her door when she stayed alone with her mom out of town.

People tell Madison and Lauren their secrets.

In a normal world, once a girl starts spilling your personal secrets around the school, you stop telling her secrets. Yet on "The Secret Life of the American Teenager," Amy continuous feeds Madison and Lauren new information only for them to "somehow" leak the information all over the school. Not that any of their friend group could actually keep a secret.

Jack never has football practice.

Jack was supposed to be the captain and quarterback of the football team, but aside from carrying around a bag with a football in it, we never see him go to practice or games. I'm still not sure how he can be at friend's houses all afternoon and evening as a star football player. He must be so good that he doesn't have to attend practice or games.

The marriage flash mob.

The whole school organizes a flash mob when Ricky and Amy might finally get married to each other, which features Madison and Lauren front and center. Does this school have classes or teachers or anything more than a guidance counselor?

You get a ring!

Not only does everyone get pregnant in this show, but they also get married the second after it happens. Ben and Amy, Ben and Adrienne, Amy and Ricky, Betty and the Sausage King, Adrienne's Mom and Dad, Mrs. Bowman and whatever doctor is single... it seems never ending. What is in the water in this town? Not to mention the time that Ben and Amy really did get married, only to find out it isn't legit for two 16-year-olds to get married with only a sister as a witness.

George and Anne's relationship.

Where do I even begin with this one? First George cheats on Ann, then they have a baby while Ann is dating her "boss," then they get married again, then he cheats again, then... you get the point. Why is Ann continually chasing after George when he continually cheats on her—she did meet a man while working at a hot dog stand though.

While I only touched on a few, there are many messed up reasons why we love this show, which is why it remains on Netflix.