Why Everyone Should Play A Sport

Why Everyone Should Play A Sport

No matter what age you are or what skill level, you should take up a sport!

577
Why Everyone Should Play A Sport
Peace In Your Home

Most of us were put into some sort of sport by the time we started elementary school because our parents wanted us to get involved and find something we liked. Some of us stuck with it throughout our lives, and some of us couldn't wait to kiss that team goodbye once our first rec season was over. But our parents all had good intentions, because there is so much one can learn from playing a sport, and that's why no matter what age you are or what skill level, you should get out and get involved in one!

First off, there's the most obvious reason—you stay fit. No matter what age we are, no matter our shape and size, no matter what is going on in our lives, being active is a good thing. It helps you maintain a healthy circulatory, respiration and nervous system. It helps you lose excess body fat. It helps toxins escape your body. The health benefits could go on and on. Essentially you'll look better and feel better, and who doesn't want that.

Not to mention they're fun. If you find the right sport/activity that you love, you're not going to be able to stay away. There are tons of fun opportunities like hiking, zumba, dancing, cycling, pickup games of basketball and volleyball and running (if you're crazy like me and enjoy running) so why not explore your options? Bonus: If you bring friends, it can be even more fun. Looking good, feeling healthy, having fun...you see where this is going?

Endorphins are one of the best things about keeping active. Endorphins are the natural pain relievers (and thus mood boosters) your body creates, and they're elevated after you exercise. Remember "Legally Blonde?" She knew what she was talking about—endorphins are the real deal. ("Endorphins make people happy, and happy people don't kill their husbands.")

So, not only do sports keep you feeling physically good and boost your mood, but the number one reason you should join a sport no matter what is because you learn more life lessons than you will in any other situation. You learn discipline by sticking to your activity and pushing through the pain. You learn how to make mistakes and how to make yourself better from them. You learn how to set goals for yourself and how to achieve them. You learn how to win and how to lose with class. You learn your strengths and weaknesses. You learn how to channel your stress into your sport. You learn how to focus on what you yourself can control. You simply learn how to be a better person.

So maybe you were raised as an athlete and you lost opportunity as you got older, or maybe you're the one who burned that soccer jersey after the last game—but no matter what, the best thing you can do for yourself is to go to the gym, go outside or find some friends and find an activity you love to do, because when you do it might just change your life.