Everyone Is Addicted To Something

Everyone Is Addicted To Something

Yes, even you.

1470
Everyone Is Addicted To Something

You reach for your phone to see that your friend is calling. You know you have some time to kill before you have anything to do, so you pick up. As soon as you hear their first sentence, you immediately regret answering. You can tell that you will be stuck trying to get out of this conversation for the next thirty minutes. The worst part is, all they will be talking about is how hard their week was and trying to get you to sympathize. You listen for a few long minutes when you finally make up an excuse to hang up the phone. You think to yourself, I swear, they're addicted to complaining, but have you ever thought they maybe they really are?

Think of everyone that you know. Maybe you don't know anyone who is addicted to cocaine, meth, or some other hard drug, but think about your mother. What would she do when she wasn't busy taking care of you or your siblings, working, or doing housework? Was she reading? Maybe she watched TV. It could have been simpler than that. Maybe your mother loved taking care of you and your family. It could have been her life-long goal to have children and a house and come home to a family every night. Or maybe she loved the feeling of laying down in bed at night while she pulled the covers up and thought to herself, I don't have to move until morning. Believe it or not, she was addicted to something, and so are you.

Every single person has something that they cannot stop doing. Some people cannot stop watching "Gossip Girl" or "Stranger Things" when the next episode pops up on the screen. Some people cannot stop studying for a test even when they know that they are already prepared. People continue to read, write, or paint, even if they know that they should be doing something else. Workaholics cannot stop working no matter what else is happening outside of the office because their job is their most important activity. Some may even be addicted to an idea; the idea of having a family one day, the idea of a spouse, job, or a new TV. Shopaholics cannot stop purchasing new items that they know they don't need. People cannot stop talking about their ex or their pet, even when they know the people who are politely listening could not care less. Some people are addicted to eating healthy or working out because fitness is their addiction. People could be addicted to traveling and finding new places. Anyone could be addicted to anything.

So what about you? Do you love to cook? Do you love to listen to music? Do you drone on and on about how adorable your dog looks when he eats peanut butter? You have something. There is something that you love that you cannot stop doing. But in all honesty, you wouldn't want to quit anyway.