10 Hidden Gems in Europe You Need To Visit

Skip the crowds and visit the spots locals love.

1641

Image Source: FreeImages

If you’re planning a trip to Europe, then you know this is going to be the best vacation ever. But, let’s face it: there are so many amazing places in Europe that it might be overwhelming trying to pick which ones to visit first. We’re here to help! Read on for our insider tips about some of the lesser-known but absolutely incredible places in Europe that you need to add to your itinerary ASAP.

Amsterdam

This one’s a no-brainer. Amsterdam is one of the most Instagrammable cities in the world, and is famous for its canals, architecture, and gourmet food. Not to mention, it’s one of the safest cities in the world. Amsterdam has something for everyone, and is a great place to travel with kids. There are a ton of museums, bike tours, and activities for kids of all ages. And, if you’re looking to get away from the crowds, head to the coast, where the beaches are mostly empty. Amsterdam is a great place to visit in spring and summer, when the tulips are in bloom. In fall, there are also pumpkins, apples, and other fall-themed treats to be found. And, in winter, you can visit to see Dutch-style ice skating.

Berlin

You may have heard about Berlin’s history as one of the most important cities in Europe, but did you know that it’s also a great place to visit now? This modern metropolis is home to some of the world’s most innovative companies and cutting-edge technology. There are tons of great museums, such as the iconic Berlin Wall Museum, and plenty of outdoor activities, like hiking and cycling. If you’re visiting during the winter, be sure to check out the Berlin Cycle Classic, a road race with more than 1,000 amateur cyclists. And, in summer, visit to experience the Berlin Carnival, one of the world’s largest street festivals.

Budapest

Budapest is a beautiful city that feels like a cross between Europe and Asia. The architecture here is stunning, and the streets are filled with outdoor cafes, bars, and shops. Wander through the streets of the city’s former Jewish district, or visit one of the many gardens. There are also tons of museums that will inspire you, from the Museum of Fine Arts to the House of Terror Museum. And, in the winter, experience the Budapest Winter Festival, a celebration of music, dance, and art that takes place in the city’s downtown park.

Helsinki

If you’re looking for a European city that’s more minimal than the rest, look no further than Helsinki. This Scandinavian city is known for its cleanliness, and it’s home to some of the most beautiful parks in Europe, as well as a thriving arts scene. Visit the Helsinki Cathedral, which is renowned for its beauty, or head to the Helsinki Art Museum to see some of the city’s most significant works of art. If you’re hoping to experience Finnish culture, visit Lapland in the winter, when you can see reindeer, huskies, and other northern animals up close.

Rome

If you’ve ever dreamed of just walking around Rome and immersing yourself in the culture, then this is the place for you. The city has so much to offer, from the Vatican to parks full of famous sculptures. In the summer, you can visit here to see the Roman Festival, a 10-day celebration of classical music, dance, and art performances. In the winter, you can experience the Rome Carnival, when you’ll see more than 100,000 people in the streets.

Dublin

Dublin is a great place to visit in the spring or summer, as the city is dotted with flowers. But, in the winter, it really shines, as the buildings and streets are decorated with festive lights. There are also a ton of activities for kids, like walking Dublin’s streets with the storytellers at the Dublin Storytelling Festival or visiting the Dublin City Museum. You can also experience Irish culture at the Guinness Storehouse, where you can learn about brewing history. And, in the winter, you can experience Irish culture at the Dublin Winter Festival, a celebration of music, dance, and food.

Paris

Located in one of the most picturesque cities in the world, Paris is a dreamy place to visit. You can experience the city’s romantic history in the many museums, or head to the beach for one of the best views in the world. In the winter, experience the Paris Carnaval, a celebration of music, dance, and food that takes place in the streets of the city. If you’re visiting in the summer, be sure to check out the Paris Book Fair, one of the largest international book fairs in the world.

London

There are few cities like London, which is a beautiful, modern city that seamlessly blends ancient history with modern architecture. You can explore this city on foot or by taking one of the many tours that are available, or you can also rent a bike and explore on your own. In the winter, experience the London Christmas Market, one of the largest Christmas markets in the world. You can also visit in the summer to experience the London Festival of Culture, a celebration where you can experience music, theater, visual art, literature, and film.

More Places to Visit in Europe

These places are popular, beautiful places to visit in Europe, but they may be a little less known than the top 5 we’ve mentioned above. So, if you’re still planning your trip, give these places a try!

Brussels

Brussels is a vibrant city in Belgium that’s home to some of the most interesting architecture in Europe. In the summer, visit to experience the Brussels Summer Festival, a celebration of music, dance, and food, and in the winter, experience the Brussels Winter Festival, a celebration of music, dance, and food.

Amsterdam and the Dutch Countryside

If you have time for only one day trip from Amsterdam, consider heading to the nearby Dutch countryside. The Hollandse Hooglandse Kust is a UNESCO World Heritage Site filled with canals, windmills, and Dutch architecture. There are also plenty of beaches along the coast.

Copenhagen

Denmark is another country that’s often overlooked when people think of European travel, but it’s a fascinating place to visit. In the summer, head to Copenhagen to check out the city’s vibrant architecture, waterfront, and museums. And, in the winter, visit to experience the Copenhagen Book Fair, one of the largest international book fairs in the world.

Dublin and the Emerald Coast

If you have time for only one day trip from Dublin, consider heading to the nearby Emerald Coast. The Irish coast has some of the best beaches in Europe, as well as plenty of fun things to do in the area. You can visit the Twelve Apostles, an iconic rock formation that’s been visited by countless writers and artists.

Florence and the Italian Peninsula

Florence is often overlooked when people think of European travel, but it’s a fascinating place with some of the most important art in the world. In the summer, visit to experience the Florence Festival, a 10-day celebration of classical music, dance, and art performances. In the winter, visit to experience the Florence Carnival, one of the largest winter festivals in Europe.