What To Pack When Traveling Abroad For The Semester

13 Essentials That Every Traveler Needs When Going Abroad For The Semester

Rain or shine, delayed or on-time, here are the items you needs to be a step ahead of any obstacles you come across while traveling.

482

Co-written by Sivani Shanmugam and Jasmine Hsieh

With our trip to Europe approaching in a couple of days and after months of planning, we are officially experienced packers to foreign countries. Together, we both are traveling to six countries in Europe: United Kingdom, France, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. Thanks to EF Tours, we are able to travel abroad and experience the world alongside our fellow friends, classmates and teachers as well.

In that light,we had to plan to make the most out of our upcoming trip. Our group decided that the most efficient and time-saving method would be for all of us to pack our own carry-on suitcases so we had to be sure that we packed light and efficiently. After several months of planning, here is a compiled list of 13 basic essentials you must bring when traveling to Europe, especially when it involves the necessity of packing light.

1. Packing Cubes

For those who struggle to fit all of your clothes into your carry on luggage, packing cubes are the most efficient and organized way! These cubes will definitely prevent you from overfilling your luggage. In addition, they will help leave some space to bring home some souvenirs.

2. Adapter / Outlet Converter

Since you will be traveling abroad with your phone, you will need an adapter to charge your devices. This adapter shown above is very efficient and is also very easy to use! Of course, you do not need to use this specific one. Be sure to see whether or not the adapter you will need to buy contains the appropriate ports for each country you are traveling to.

3. Large Portable Charger

Since a majority of your day is spent walking around and touring the city, having a portable charger on you is a must. On top of taking pictures and videos to post on social media, you will be using your phone a lot. We would highly recommend this portable charger, as it has shown to have charged an iPhone 8 at least three times before fully running out of battery. Other portable chargers are great; however, if you are prone to use your phone frequently whilst traveling, this portable charger is the best.

4. Travel Pillow

If there is a single necessity you will need during airplane travel, it is a comfortable neck pillow. Anyone who has ever flown before knows the struggle of sleeping on a plane and not having a comfy pillow to rest your tired traveler head on makes it so much worse. So before you head out on your next airplane journey, a neck pillow of your choice will make your traveling so much more comfortable.

5. Reusable Water Bottle

Bringing a water bottle to carry with you 24/7 will prevent you from becoming dehydrated.

Under the radiating and warm sun, especially during the summer, you are more prone to becoming dehydrated. Carrying around a water bottle will be of great use to you, especially when you suddenly find yourself in an area where water is not accessible. In addition, we highly recommend you to bring a 17 ounce stainless steel water bottle to help keep your water cool. Unless you like warm water, by all means, bring any other type of reusable water bottle.

Be sure to empty it before you pass through airport security!

6. Lightweight Rain Jacket

You never know when it will rain. Therefore, it is important to have a rain jacket on the go. Umbrellas tend to be a hassle when traveling around with one. On the other hand, a lightweight rain jacket will be of great use, as it can both be used as a jacket and a method of preventing yourself from getting wet while walking around in the city. Be sure to get one with a hood!

7. Travel Journal

You may or may not feel up to journaling during the trip, but I think it is always good to have a small journal on hand dedicated to take with you when you travel. You can use this journal to document thoughts you have about new experiences while traveling or to even store and caption your favorite pictures from your travels.

8. Travel Towel

Hotels that you stay at will probably provide you with most of the towels and bath essentials you need. However, it is always good to have a clean towel of your own on hand just in case you can't rely on your hotel's or they are in short supply. A towel also comes in handy in case you get wet and also becomes a makeshift headrest/pillow when it is rolled up.

9. Photocopy Of Your Passport

This is very important to bring along with you. If there is any case that you may lose your passport, a copy of it will allow you to still fly back. Of course, you may not lose your passport, but a photocopy is always just in case you do lose it.

10. Plastic bags

These are another major lifesaver when traveling. Plastic bags or even large ziplock baggies really come in handy for many cases when you want to protect something from rain or water just pop it into a ziplock.

If you are traveling and don't have time to wash clothing, dirty clothes can be put into a bag so they don't “contaminate" your other clean clothes.

11. Long Pants

Although the place you are traveling to may be super hot and it would be uncomfortable to wear pants, long pants are good to have on hand. Pants come to the rescue when the flight gets too cold or you end up hiking or on an excursion through leafy or bug-infested areas.

12. Comfortable Shoes

This is a necessity wherever you go but especially important in areas where you know you will be out and about walking and doing touristy things all day. People have different preferences as to what kind of shoes they find “cute" but in the long haul during a trip it is definitely worth sacrificing something that looks cute for something that will protect your feet and be comfy to walk in for hours on end. In my opinion strappy sandals like Chacos or Tevas are the way to go for both comfort and cuteness.

SEE ALSO: 5 Ways Chacos Have Attained Shoe Perfection

13. Travel Backpack

Another necessity is to have a backpack handy to carry your passport, camera, charger, water bottle, etc. The bag should be easy to carry and be able to hold all of your needed items with room left for items you purchase along the way and an extra pair of clothes and/or a rain jacket just in case.