Essential Lists For College Students

I love lists. There is something about seeing your entire day written out on paper that can make even the most stressful things seem doable. I keep lists with me wherever I go, as well as a pen and paper in case I need to make more. They keep me organized and sane when I have a lot that I need to do or remember, especially during particularly stressful times, such as exams.

It is very easy to forget things in today's day and age, where everything is rushed and seems like they need to be handled immediately, and lists are a good way to lay out what exactly needs to be prioritized and what can wait.

1. Daily to-do lists

Every night, I try to make a to-do list for myself for the next day. Usually, I try to condense it down to a post-it note, but occasionally I will need a bigger piece of paper. I carry this list around with me all day and usually stick it somewhere in my planner so I can always add to it as the day goes on or cross things off as I complete them.

2. Weekly to-do lists

On Mondays, I make my weekly to-do list, which normally comprises of assignments for school or deadlines for work. This is where I schedule when I will sit down and get assignments done, so I do not have to worry about forgetting one. In the margins, I will list smaller tasks that I have to do either before working on an assignment or that have a less harsh deadline.

3. Running shopping lists

I keep one list in my bag of things that I need to pick up from the store, so if I find myself with a few minutes to spare or out shopping for something else, I will be able to get these essential items and not forget what I need.

4. Gratitude lists

It always helps to take a moment and reflect on things that we are grateful for, especially because there is so much college students have that we tend to take for granted. Things like our education are often forgotten about because we are too caught up in how stressful school can be and do not take time to be happy that we are able to improve our minds in the first place.

5. List of upcoming events

This list is usually for the month or the next few months. I will list all of the birthdays I need to remember and get presents for, days where I will need to go back home, or any plans that I have made that I do not want to double book myself for. (PS, this picture is a lie, there are no naughty pups.)

6. Chapters covered in each class

I don't know if this is a computer science thing, or if a lot of subjects have this, but almost all of my classes that have textbooks will skip around with the chapters. In one class, we have covered chapters one through 10, but last week we were going over chapter three. Therefore, I keep a running list of what chapters we have covered in each of my classes to make studying for quizzes easier and make finding answers to questions more simple when I refer to the textbook.

7. Article ideas

I am a writer, so this should come as no surprise. At any given time I will have about 10 ideas on a sticky note on my computer (my one digital list). Between my platforms, this will last about a week or two, so it's constantly being updated with new ideas I've had or current events I've found interesting. This is helpful to non-writers as well in case they need to provide a writing sample for something.

8. Bucket list

Even though I am not planning an ending just yet, I do have a list of things I want to do. I usually compose one for each year, but I do have a larger list of things I want to do before I die. I suppose these are kind of like resolutions, but they do not require a daily commitment.

9. Books to read

I am guilty of not keeping up with my TBR, or To Be Read List. I get too excited about new books that I often forget that there were many before it in the TBR priority list.

10. Movies and TV shows to watch 

Similar to books, there are always new movies and TV shows coming out, and as they do, I add them to my list. I try to watch one feel-good show and one serious TV show at a time so I don't get plot points confused and can watch what I feel like based on my mood.