EpiPen: Another Price Hike for the American People

Another day, another price by the pharmaceutical industry that is unfair to the American People.

15
Mylan

When things happen over and over again in our lives, our reaction to that thing changes. The first time it happens, we may be surprised or angered or even exhilarated to see it happen. The second time it happens, we may still get a certain type of feeling about the event but it will not be as strong as it was the first time. The feeling of this event happening will continue to get less and less impactful each time it happens until it becomes normal to us. We see the event happening and we feel no emotion towards it because it has become something in our daily lives.

This is what is going to happen with the pharmaceutical industry. Recently, the cost of an EpiPen, a device that quickly delivers the necessary medication to help a person who is having an allergic reaction, was raised from $100 to $600. The CEO of Mylan, the company that owns the EpiPen, Heather Bresch justifies the price increase. She claims that she has the right to raise the prices because she is “running a business” and even admitted that she doing this for profit. Hence, the rise in price is not going to benefit the users of EpiPens or the general public. The sole purpose of raising the price was to benefit the pockets of the owners of Mylan.

The same outrage was felt when Martin Shkreli bought the company that owns the rights to Daraprim, a drug that helps patients with AIDS, and increased the price from $13.50 to $750.00. He felt no remorse for those who were dependent on the drug. He made claims that Daraprim needed a price increase because it was not making enough money off it patients. He believed that since it was a life-saving drug, it should cost more. Even after the hell raised by the public, the drug still costs an outrageous $375.

The issue with events like this is that the companies are abusing the medical needs of the public but there is a bigger issue. Why does this keep on happening? If the public is so discontent with drug prices being raised for no absolute reason, then why do these company still have this kind of power? Yes, capitalism is part of the reason the country is as great as is but there are limits. Basic economics tells us that when there is a large demand for something, it is appropriate to increase the price of the product to increase profits. But when the product is something that holds the power to helping a person survive another day it is simply wrong. EpiPen helps its user survive allergic reactions. Daraprim helps its user survive toxoplasma parasites. They help ensure the patient will see another day. Abusing this life or death need is unethical even if it is in the name of capitalism.

As the upcoming election comes nearer, we need to start thinking about the future. This trend of life-saving drug prices increasing to absurd amounts cannot continue. This should not be something that gets to the point where it becomes normal. We need to think for those who are users of the drugs. It is unfair and unjustified for them. Even if you are unaffected by this, it is still your issue because maybe one day you may become a user of these drugs or a drug you are using may get a price increase to the point where you cannot afford it. Vote for candidates who are going to take down the pharmaceutical industry who are abusing the American public.