An Emotional Election
Politics

An Emotional Election

Some just won't let it go.

9
An Emotional Election
The Sun

This turned out to be a very emotionally charged election cycle. Trump supporters are elated and believe America is saved. Clinton supporters are devastated and believe America has been destroyed. Johnson supporters are probably just happy Californians voted to legalize recreational pot. Jill Stein's supporters would probably enjoy this video.

Back to the Big Two, Democrats thought we would have MAGAgeddon if Trump lost, but the tables have turned and now it's the Dems who are throwing tantrums. The Twitterverse has exploded with rage, including, but not limited to, death threats against Trump and his supporters. Plus, there's all the comparisons to Hitler (always a good debate tactic). Some may suggest that they will accept the results with dignity, but then tag their posts with #NotMyPresident. When moving to Canada fails, hold a grudge. Voters on both sides have made claims of being attacked by the opposition, but some of these stories look so suspiciously similar that I question their validity. Social Justice Warriors are taking their label literally as they call for revolution or stage protests that devolve into riots. It goes on and on and it's getting exhausting. I say give Trump a shot, and if he fails and loses the support of his base, he won't be reelected.

Are millennial Democrats just crybabies throwing a collective fit? Maybe, but maybe a lot of the hysteria about who sits in the Oval Office comes from the fact that we've come to demand and expect way too much from the federal government. The national economy, the military, and foreign policy are rightfully the purview of the central government, but we're also increasingly expecting them to fix everything at the state and local levels. Too many seem to want the President to seize total control of the entire country, but the President is not a dictator. He still needs the support of Congress and the Senate to pass any laws or declare war (not that many Presidents have formally declared war since WWII). In that way, the legislature holds the real power, not the President.

Disappointed voters need to put things in perspective and understand that the president does not have that much control over any one American's everyday life. He can't apply the same standards for every person in every state. What's best for New Yorkers isn't necessarily best for Texans. What works for privileged, educated office drones doesn't work for uneducated working class people. Maybe if we all shut up and accept that we each have different needs and opinions, we won't be so divided in 2020.