Top 15 Favorite SNL Cast Members (2000-Present)

The best of the best to ever grace the stage in Studio 8H.

491

Did you watch "Saturday Night Live" when you were just a little too young to fully understand what was going on? If you're anything like me, your answer will be yes. I watched SNL when I was younger, and I remember admiring all of these different people. When I got older, I went back and re-watched those seasons/episodes and appreciated it even more than when I was younger. I love to laugh and the people at SNL are pros at making you do that. Since the show has been on for over 40 years and I haven't really experienced much of the earlier days, here's a list of the top 15 favorite SNL cast members from 2000 onward.

15. Chris Parnell (1998-2001 & 2002-2006)

Favorites:Lazy Sunday, Merv the Perv

Chris Parnell is very underrated as far as SNL is concerned. While he had a bit of a rocky time there, he played vital roles in many great sketches, and his voice was perfect for doing a multitude of impressions. And of course, after the show, he lent his talents to the fabulous "30 Rock."

14. Kate McKinnon (2012-Present)

Favorites: Hillary Clinton, Ellen DeGeneres, Olya Povlatsky, Justin Bieber

Kate McKinnon has been around for a few years now, but she has really acted as the brightest light in the cast in the past few years. She can definitely hold her own on the SNL stage.

13. Jimmy Fallon (1998-2004)

Favorites:The Barry Gibb Talk Show, Sully, Weekend Update Anchor

He is known for breaking in his sketches and partnering up with Justin Timberlake, but Jimmy Fallon did offer a little bit more than that in his SNL career. One of his most notable contributions was to the Weekend Update desk when he teamed up with Tina Fey and revived that segment in 2000. And, obviously, he went on to greater things from there.

12. Jason Sudeikis (2005-2013)

Favorites:Joe Biden, Mitt Romney, The Devil

It seems almost rude to say, but Jason Sudeikis really nailed his stint as "The Devil." He definitely was a funny guy, but he was given quite a few typical dad or husband roles. Jason was never hard to notice, though. His great impressions will never be forgotten.

11. Will Forte (2002-2010)

Favorites:George W. Bush, MacGruber, Lorne Michaels

Will Forte is another one of those underrated talents that probably wasn't appreciated as much as he should have been for his years on SNL. He did a great George W. Bush impression as well as some miscellaneous characters. Remember the NASA guy who thought Jason Sudeikis stole his potato chips? Yeah, neither does anyone else, but it's a real gem. You should check it out.

10. Andy Samberg (2005-2012)

Favorites:SNL Shorts, Mark Wahlberg, Nicholas Cage

"Lazy Sunday" was really the beginning of Andy Sandberg's popularity, and it is still one of his trademarks. He was most famous for his SNL shorts, including "D*ck In a Box" and "Jack Sparrow." Oh, and Andy? Say hello to your mother for us.

9. Fred Armisen (2002-2013)

Favorites:Barack Obama, Garth, Stuart, Governor Paterson, Joy Behar

Fred Armisen was quite the impersonator at SNL. From President Obama to Joy Behar to Howie Mandel, he was a staple of the show for many years and offered up some hilarious interpretations of celebrities while manifesting some great original characters as well. Garth and Kat, anyone?

8. Rachel Dratch (1999-2006)

Favorites:Debbie Downer, Denise, Abe Scheinwald, Hot Tub Lovers

There was nothing better than watching an episode and seeing Rachel Dratch, even post 2006 when she did some cameo spots. She was often typed as certain characters, but it was rare that she couldn't get a laugh out of the crowd. And, of course, who doesn't love watching Debbie Downer ruin the day? They never broke in those sketches. Nope, never.

7. Maya Rudolph (2000-2007)

Favorites:Jodi Dietz, Beyoncé, Oprah, Donatella Versace, Whitney Houston

Oh, Maya Rudolph—it's like she never missed in the seven years that she was on the show. When do you remember Maya Rudolph tanking in a sketch? The answer is never. Personally, I think she really got to shine through her impressions, ie. Donatella, Beyoncé, Oprah. Also, who doesn't love Bronx Beat? Maya is also a gem because she's done tons of guest appearances throughout the years, and that is always something to look forward to.

6. Bill Hader (2005-2013)

Favorites:Stefon, Dwayne Vogelcheck, Herb Welch

It's pretty clear that Bill Hader is a genius. He only improved any sketch that he was ever in. His voice was perfect to cover a slew of impressions, but his original characters stuck with us. Stefon is probably one of his most famous and widely recognized characters, and this character is just plain great.

5. Will Ferrell (1996-2002)

Favorites:George W. Bush, More Cowbell, Alex Trebek Spartan Cheerleaders, Hot Tub Lovers

Most people don't know that Will Ferrell started out on "Saturday Night Live," but he did some genius work in his six years as a cast member. Truth is, he probably would have been even closer to the end of this list, but he spent so little time in the cast during the 2000s. But, he was there for a short while, and it's good to acknowledge that.

4. Seth Meyers (2001-2014)

Favorites:Weekend Update Anchor, John Kerry

Seth Meyers was in the cast for a good amount of time before he settled in at the update desk. He did a few impressions including John Kerry and Anderson Cooper, but those were so/so. What makes him deserving of the No. 4 spot is his work on Weekend Update. In 2006, he joined Amy Poehler at the desk and then carried it by himself for a number of years afterward. He hit it out of the park just about every night and he was a devoted member of the cast.

3. Tina Fey (2000-2006)

Favorites:Weekend Update Anchor, Sarah Palin

Another head writer has been found on this list, and Tina Fey is very deserving of this spot. Tina Fey was responsible for reviving the Weekend Update segment and bringing it to what it is today. She was a part of the first all female update team, alongside Amy Poehler, and displayed her comedy genius every Saturday night in the prime location. Also, come on. Her Sarah Palin impression was the absolute best. She may not have been a cast member at the time, but it's worth noting.

2. Kristen Wiig (2005-2012)

Favorites:Target Lady, Sue, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Kathy Lee Gifford, Kat, Liza Minnelli, Gilly

There are almost no words to describe the beauty and genius that is Kristen Wiig. Her time at SNL will never be forgotten, and I think that we will be seeing people striving for Kristen Wiig level greatness for a long time. She had spot on impressions for so many different famous faces. She was great as Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Kathy Lee Gifford, Drew Barrymore and Jamie Lee Curtis. (Not going to lie, I can't help but laugh at the "Liza Minelli Tries to Turn Off a Lamp" sketch). What makes Kristen extra special is that she is not only brilliant at impersonations but she has amazing original characters too. How can you not laugh at the Target Lady who is way too excited to be working at her job, or Sue who just can't handle surprises. Kristen Wiig is the world.

1. Amy Poehler (2001-2008)

Favorites:Betty Caruso, Hillary Clinton, Michael Jackson, Weekend Update Anchor, Kaitlin, Sarah Palin Rap

Amy Poehler deserves the No. 1 spot because she really impacted the course of SNL. She started out as a great sketch actor and grew to improvising. The best thing about her is that she constantly was improving and growing, even when you didn't think it was possible. She could have chemistry with just about anyone on screen. She proved that during Bronx Beat with Maya and Weekend Update with Tina and later, Seth. She knew how to utilize comedic timing and wasn't just a skilled comedian but actor as well. She made you watch her and she made you acknowledge her. Even when she was dressing up as other people like Hillary Clinton or Michael Jackson, you knew that this was Amy Poehler just being a genius.