Embracing Diversity

Embracing Diversity

Through this mindset, our diverse community can be embraced as positive.

18
Embracing Diversity

Happiness is contagious. The idea of acceptance of self-expression is the first step into opening minds to a happier world. 

As you log onto your computer, the first thing any girl does is check her 1,200 unread email account. As your phone or computer screen loads, you can always expect a never ending array of emails from online stores advertising their most current trends. As fashion is evolving, we see iconic leaders such as celebrities and other public figures wearing some of the most outrageous and eye catching clothes and accessories our generation has ever seen. Although these trends may at first seem quite odd, I feel they serve an important purpose in our society. 

The idea of self expression and acceptance is largely encouraged among young people. I feel that this kind of expression is commonly achieved through ones fashion sense. Although some of these trends may not be my personal favorites, they may be another persons way of presenting themselves in their best light. We see our society, daily, crumbling under the heavy weights of conformity, obedience, and stereotypes. 

These types of pressures force individuals to feel that they need to conform as well. Through this type of thinking, we are all, virtually, being taught to be the same. I applaud those who look beyond this idealism and who have the confidence to wear, dress, and present themselves through fashion in a way that they feel defines them. I think that this message of self expression through clothing is just a small part of a much larger message, and that message is to practice kindness, acceptance, and uniqueness. 

I hope that I am not the only person who is tired of hearing about bullying problems in schools, insecurity among woman because of they way they look, and most of all, cruel and uncalled for behavior in general. Because image and the way one looks is usually one's first impression of another person, I strongly believe that if we, as a community, could somehow learn to be accepting of any and all image and fashion related statements, we could take a first step to eliminating insecurity in both woman and men. Being creative and unique is a good thing. Why would we want everyone in the world to look, be and think the same? 

Embracing diversity means we are giving our world a chance to grow. Through new ideas and different walks of life, we can have and hold a community we can be proud of. So, next time you see someone wearing something you don't like, listening to music you think sounds horrible, talking about a subject you don't agree with or eating food that makes you sick, just say to yourself, "good for them," because thats all that really matters isn't it?--what makes each person happy individually? I encourage and challenge everyone to open their hearts and their minds to never judge someone by how they may appear.