Why I Think Elsa Should have A Girlfriend In Frozen 2

#GiveElsaAGirlfriend

29
Twitter

Lately, the media has been going bonkers over the idea of Elsa having a girlfriend in the upcoming movie sequel, Frozen 2. Last month, Twitter was filled with tweets reading #GiveElsaAGirlfriend and many people explained why this would be an amazing idea. Others however, have been not so open to the idea of a lesbian Disney princess. Now don't get me wrong, I've always had Elsa shipped with Jack Frost (#TeamJelsa), but since we all know that unfortunately this is never going to happen, I'd be very happy with Elsa obtaining a girlfriend in the next movie.

In case you're disagreeing with me right now, give me a chance to explain my stance on this little debate and maybe you'll change your mind. If not, then at least I tried.

First, I know there are still people who disagree with gay marriage and are uncomfortable discussing it. While I really don't want to get into a religious debate here, I'd just like to say that gay marriage is legal everywhere in the United States now and whether you agree or not, it's not going away. So you can either hop on board the FABULOUS train, or be left behind with your head in the sand. Which is really sad because I heard the train has the best cocktails.

Secondly, there are those who believe Elsa shouldn't have a love interest at all due to the fact that they want her to stay "strong and independent". I find this argument the most insulting by far. Are you trying to tell me that just because I'm in a relationship I no longer have strength and independence? Suddenly I'm dependent on my significant other and no longer have the freedom to do things on my own? Well, if we're talking about sending the wrong message to kids, that would be the worst one. "Yes honey, I know you want a prince charming, but if you find one then you'll no longer be your own person. And if you want to stay independent then you have to be lonely forever!" Wow, great talk Mom. Elsa can still be strong and hold on to her independence even with a partner. She'll still have her fiery and protective personality that we all instantly fell in love with in Frozen, only now she'll be able to share it with someone else. Everybody wants to believe in love, and you're lying to yourself if you think you don't. Just because you normally enjoy doing things on your own and feel you don't need anybody else, doesn't mean you don't deserve or want love. As Elsa's sister, Anna, said: "Nobody wants to be alone."

Lastly, I understand there are some worried parents out there who think this is too adult of a topic to be placing into a Disney movie and are skeptical about the effects this will have on their kids. I'm here to tell you, don't be. If you're worried that this movie will cause you to find your little girls playing Elsa and her Girlfriend go on a date, you should probably start preparing yourself for the possibility that you might have to actually talk to your kids about the birds and the bees. Or at least about kissing and whatever else falls under that category. The reality of the situation is, if you're worried about that kind of dilemma, it's probably already happened. I know you're probably questioning what me, a 19 year-old girl, knows about children. I'm an aunt to a beautiful five-year-old girl, and two crazy little boys, one three-year-old and the other just turned one. I know being an aunt doesn't come close to being a mother, but all of these kids' dads weren't in their lives in the beginning, and some still aren't in the picture. So I stepped up and helped my sister raise these kids. Yes, I woke up in the dead of night to change diapers and fix bottles and rock the infants back to sleep. Three times over. I gave up parts of my high school summers so I could babysit them while my sister worked. I've been the one to get them holiday presents, play Santa and the Easter bunny, kiss their booboos all better, soothe their nightmares, etc. I played Daddy for a year of all of their lives, and I still do for the youngest. Plus, I'm young enough to remember what it was like to be a kid. I remember playing Prince and Princess with my neighbor at six years old and, as the story is always told, he had to kiss me to wake me up from my deep princess sleep. My niece was recently caught kissing her friend, who is also a little girl. When asked why, she said that she didn't understand the difference between giving the other little girl kisses and giving her family kisses. So, the bottom line is, this stuff is bound to happen, and giving a Disney princess a girlfriend isn't going to drastically change anything.

Recently, the media asked Idina Menzel what she thought of her character, Elsa, having a girlfriend in the upcoming movie. She responded with excited approval and is all about giving Elsa a relationship. If the woman who is essentially Elsa doesn't have a problem with it, why should anyone else? Doesn't she know Elsa best? Would she not object if she felt Elsa the Snow Queen needed to stay a lonely, independent woman?

I'm so excited for the sequel to come out, no matter what the outcome on the whole relationship aspect, but for me it's easy to be team #GiveElsaAGirlfriend. So shut up and take my money Disney!