11 Classic Tonsillectomy Struggles

11 Classic Tonsillectomy Struggles

The ENT surgeon will tell you 10-12 days and you'll be back to normal. They're lying.

2085
11 Classic Tonsillectomy Struggles
Caitlin O'Leary

Tonsillitis. Your mouths own personal hell. Inflamed, swollen tonsils and a constant sore throat is nothing to joke about. For almost 7 months straight I dealt with the agonizing pain of my quite prominent tonsils. However, the pain I felt after my tonsillectomy is incomparable to actually having my tonsils. If you're either preparing to have your tonsillectomy or are reminiscing on the two weeks of hell you went through, here are the classic signs you're a tonsillectomy kid.

^^I cried at 7 pm every night and told my mom (through writing on a white board) that "I am sick of this and I am never having mouth surgery again."

1. Pain, Pain, Pain and More PAIN

Percocet was NOT my friend. After having an allergic reaction to my first narcotic, my doctor switched me to Percocet. I can definitely say that I will not be an opioid addict anytime in my future. The nausea that ensued because of Percocet was worse than the actual pain (I fell asleep with my head in the toilet, twice) Giving up on narcos, I switched to two Advil every four hours. Nothing halts the pain, might as well accept it now.

2. Eating, or the Lack of

I didn't eat for six days. I survived on two popsicles a day. Ten pounds dropped and by Day 10 I could eat mashed potatoes, they saved me.

3. Your Teeth

I couldn't open my mouth, so trying to put a large plastic toothbrush into it would be absolute hell. The surgeon will warn you about bad breath, but the feeling of plaque building day after day is truly painful. However, finally being able to scrub all of that build up away, is truly magical.

4. Drinking Water

It goes up your nose. I don't know how and I don't know why, but it does.

5. Ice Packs

Ice packs may just be a saving grace. Buy at least two gel ice packs so that you can rotate them throughout the day. Thank me later.

6. Ice chips

I wish I had tried them sooner. When you have to wake up in the middle of the night to take your pain meds, the only thing that soothed my pain long enough to fall back asleep was ice chips.

7. Talking

Very simply, you don't. My family cherished the six days I physically couldn't mutter a single word.

8. Wisdom Teeth

I couldn't tell you the number of times someone said, "Oh it's just like getting your wisdom teeth out, you'll be fine". NO. This could not be more different than your common run of the mill dental surgery. Giant masses in my throat were BURNED from my inner throat. You had a few teeth pulled out. Don't compare until you've had both. (During my recovery I decided that I will never be having mouth surgery again and I refuse to have my wisdom teeth removed.)

9. Swallowing

Have you ever counted each time you swallow in a day? Well, It's a lot. Each and every time you swallow, your throat wallows in pain. Whether it's saliva, water, or a popsicle, you'll tense up pending the immense pain.

10. Drunk, without the Drinking

You know the classic phase of feeling like you're going to throw up, but having to wait an hour to actually do the deed? Well, the nausea that ensues while on percocets is just that. Except, you haven't eaten anything in four days so you literally have nothing to throw up.

11. Your Soul Dies

I'm not joking. A part of your soul burns away with your cauterized tonsils.

^^me two days post-op

The ENT surgeon will tell you 10-12 days and you'll be back to normal. They're lying. Currently on Day 33, I still have a sore throat and my throat feels as if it is the size of a peanut. I guess my only hope is that one day, I'll wake up without a sore throat. That date still awaits me.

Getting your tonsils out is like joining a cult. It's a blood bond, literally. Finding someone who can relate to the pure hell you went through is a magical moment, you feel connected in a way that others just simply don't understand. Welcome.

xoxo tonsillectomy survivor