To the future educator during a pandemic.
News

While the education system is crumbling before our eyes, it is not the time to lose hope.

13

COVID-19. Without a doubt, one of the craziest things we have seen in most of our lifetimes. Business are closing, unemployment is rising, we can not interact with people as we used to before this virus took over life as we knew it. On that day in March when we heard the news that colleges and universities across the United States were having to close, states were having to activate shutdowns.. who would have ever thought that may have been our last normal day of school for the unforeseeable future.

On March 13th, I woke up, had my usual normal coffee, and headed off to class. I went through all my classes as they started at 9:15 and were back to back until 4:00. After my last class ended, which was an intro to the theatre, I went back to my residence and took a nap. I woke up to an email stating that classes were officially moving online. I didn't think much of it and went home the next morning thinking id be back in maybe two weeks.. those two weeks turned into returning to move out and spend the next 5 months in my hometown.

As the time has come for schools to decide about how to reopen schools in the coming weeks, I have learned that teachers are at the frontline of this fight against COVID-19. Teachers must create lesson plans in unique ways to accommodate virtual and in-person learning. As an education major, seeing all of this unfold has honestly made me lose hope a little. Even pushing me as far as spending hours looking at different majors that would lead to careers that make more money, and just weighing various options.

But that's when I realized that Education is my passion, and as a future educator I can take this moment and build from it, Education is a lot more than what we are seeing on the media today, it's about what your heart loves and the tools you have to go into the field and fully embrace it. I lost hope during this, but it came back 100x harder and stronger. My message to my future educators out there is don't lose hope, even if the Education system is still affected by COVID when you begin your career, take it and run with it! This isn't the end, perhaps it is the beginning of an even better education system that we get to be a part of. I know you are anxious and worried, but leave it all in God's hands. Do not forget the importance of education, rather think about the impact you will make when it is your time to enter the field.

Isaiah 35:4 is the perfect verse for your anxiety and your future. Let's take this moment to improve education, rather than give up on it.