6 Self-Care Tips To Practice During These Chaotic Times

Recently, life has turned upside down. Changes can often drive us to the point of absolute chaos. With every week revealing the impacts of COVID-19, many of us are struggling with emotional exhaustion and stress. Ultimately, we need to remember the importance of focusing on ourselves, reflecting, and meditating. These moments of self-care are particularly important during these stressful times to prevent burnout and other destructive side effects. Here are six tips that have helped me through these months in quarantine, and I hope they do the same for you!

1. Take time for early morning stretches.

The refreshing feel of the breeze from the cool, rainy mornings is perfect for an early morning stretch. I like to stretch while I listen to one of Pamela Reif or Alivia D'Andrea's stretch routines. Stretching is a delightful way to start my mornings and one that I highly encourage others to do since it is a simple and quick routine. I have found that it stimulates both mind and body while preparing for the day ahead.

2. Take naps.

Who said that naps are just for toddlers, anyway? Naps have been proven to be beneficial to everyone's health, especially among students. Health officials have stated that students who take naps are more likely to learn and retain information. Therefore, it might be time to ditch the caffeine and take naps throughout the day instead.

3. Unplug from devices. Take time to read and listen.

We are easily lured into the void that is social media into these stressful times. Our social media feeds may contain a mix of political rhetoric and devastating stories, so it's important to unplug and take a break. A quick switch from the media to a book full of fantasy, mystery, or romance is one that I also highly recommend. Obtaining any book is also quite simple during COVID-19 with the Libby app which provides a variety of books to chose from at your fingertips. Recently, I have been captivated by the endless stories provide by WebToon.

4. Do some arts and crafts.

One of my favorite ways to relax and embrace self-care is through creative expression. With the endless possibility of projects and painting inspirations, it easy to hop on the art and craft trend that has been made popular by Tik-Tok. One only need pen and paper to start.

5. Declutter and reorganize.

Sometimes that burst of energy to rearrange, declutter, and update anything from the closet to bedding is a great way to relax and restart your entire vibe. Don't let your roommate be the one to stop you from your 5 AM decluttering sessions, but be respectful of other's sleep schedules. It might be just what you need to regain focus and peace of mind.

In the event that you do keep your roommate up, they could benefit from Tip #2.

6. Take the day off.

This is something I need to remind myself to practice, especially as the semester ramps up with weekly assessments. For those trapped in the cycle, try taking a break off from school, work, or the chaos of life. It is not selfish to do something fun or to pamper yourself. It not a waste of time. Rather, consider it a healthy and intentional moment to embrace. Rest is well-deserved, so always remember to take care of yourself.