ECU Student Center
food

A Picky Eater's Definitive Rating Of The ECU Student Center Food: Part 1

Ehh, not bad.

68

Well, the ECU new student center opened up in January, and the food restaurants opened up in late January. The first two places I am going to review are Raising Canes and Panda Express as they are some of the places available at the moment. I purchased the meals that I could eat on a picky eater's tongue (if that makes sense). Let the judging begin!

1. Panda Express

upload.wikimedia.org

We know the food places closed on Mendenhall last year, but Panda said we ain't going anywhere as they moved into the new student center. Here's what I usually get: Teriyaki Grilled Chicken, Super Greens, and Chow Mein.

Teriyaki Grilled Chicken: The teriyaki grilled chicken is so delicious, I could taste the teriyaki sauce. However, I could taste more chicken than the sauce. Maybe put a little bit more of the sauce, then it would be solid.

Super Greens: The mix of cabbage, kale, and broccoli are a great combo when we need our veggies. I like how crunchy and also tender at the same time, but the broccoli can get a little more steaming. Sometimes the broccoli can get a bit uncooked. But can you please chill with the immense amount garlic you put in it? I feel like the super greens could use more salt.

Chow Mein: If it weren't for the noodles, the flavor would be off. I like the cabbage and onions (cough cough because I'm not a huge fan of onion pieces in my food). I think the chow mein needs more sugar or caramelization so the flavor is better.

Overall, the flavor could be improved a bit, then it will SLAP slap. For now, it slaps. Rating: 8.5/10

2. Raising Canes

upload.wikimedia.org

I think we have the first Canes restaurant in North Carolina (or I could be wrong through research). But hey, I came to try it. So the picky eater chooses this: 3 Finger Combo without the Canes sauce and definitely no ketchup, hahaha.

Chicken Fingers: Yeah addicting alright, but the grease leaped out of nowhere. There were breading, but I BARELY taste the breading or the crunch. Yeah, putting a Zaxby's on campus would be a much better move.

Fries: It tastes like regular fries that you go to a concession stand for. Maybe it needs a little more seasoning.

Bread: The perfect combo of sweet, salt, but TOO MUCH GREASE. Yeah, this is definitely a place I shouldn't eat at all the time.

Overall: The grease and not enough seasoning really bothers me at Cane's. Yeah, I rather have Zaxby's. Rating: 5.5/10 (at least the smell lures you in)

Whew, part one is over. Now we got Au Bon Pain, 1907 Grill, and Simply Natural Creamery for dessert for part 2, coming soon.