What it is like to be Paleo
Dieting

Paleo: The Lifestyle That Is The Complete Opposite Of A Vegetarian

Told from a Paleo eater about what its like being Paleo.

280
virginia tech college student
Skylar Meyers

The Paleo Lifestyle is something not many people know about. Sure, everyone knows about gluten-free or vegetarian, but Paleo mixes in all different types of diets. Known usually as the caveman lifestyle (diet), Paleo deals mostly in meat and vegetables. The best way to describe it is what the cavemen would have been able to eat. No processed foods, no carbs, no sweets, no diary. The list goes on and on. Fruit should be one to two servings a day but I usually do not follow that rule.

People have asked me why I do it and it's not just for weight loss but I just feel better. My skin cleared up, I have way more energy, and I am in my opinion, eating healthier.

Obviously, it can be hard to drop a lot of my favorite foods. Unfortunately, there is the dreaded Carb headache in the first week that make many people quit Paleo. Your body freaks out that it is not receiving carbs as it has become obsessed with them so it causes some really bad headaches or even migraines. Besides that, the next hardest part is staying away from the foods you love. At first, it can be incredibly hard. For example, every Sunday, my dad makes these incredible waffles and as my friends and family sit around the table eating my favorite food in the world while I eat my scrambled eggs. It gets easier though and as the months go by, I am not as interested in some of my old favorite foods. The Paleo lifestyle has really brought me out of my comfort zone - by preparing new meals and becoming a cook of sorts. I've even learned that taking the rice out of your Chipotle bowl makes the Chipotle burst with way more flavor. Restaurants can be very accommodating with Paleo and Costco has even started carrying Paleo pancake mix.

As hard as it can be, if you are looking for a new lifestyle/diet change, I would highly recommend Paleo. There are so many websites, apps, and even a Facebook page about all different types of recipes. As cheesy as it may sound, Paleo has changed my life for the better.