6 Easy Ways To Stay Awake

6 Easy Ways To Stay Awake

Life is too short, stay awake for it.

45
lifehack.org

Finding yourself having a hard time staying awake at work? At school? Or even at home when you should be productive? I’ve been there, believe me I am the queen of taking naps with every chance I get. Here are my easy tips and tricks that keep me awake during the day.

1. Water. Water. Water.

Drink lots of water throughout the day! It will keep you hydrated, it has been scientifically proven that dehydration can cause fatigue. Plus if you drink a lot of water you’ll eventually have to pee, and that will most definitely keep you awake. Cold water is also great to splash on your face when you’re having trouble keeping your eyes open.

2. Don’t like the taste of plain water?

Throw a lemon into your water or drink some green tea! Not only is this more fluid to hydrate your body (that you’ll eventually have to pee out), lemon and green tea help detoxify your body keeping you healthy.

3. Eat something light!

The act of eating alone is enough to keep you awake but eating heavy, greasy foods can make you tired real fast, especially when that food baby and food coma hit. Instead of that big slice of pizza that looks oh so good, opt for some brain food like peanuts, peanut butter and carrots. These provide better energy than those M&M’s that would give you a “sugar rush” then a “sugar low." Plus if you’re anything like me, you could throw peanuts at coworkers or friends to remain entertained.

4. Entertain yourself!

Slow day at work? Can’t find anything to do at home or at school? Come up with a game for you and your friends. For example, you could count the amount of times your teacher says “usually” in a whole lecture then compare later on. Or play a game of slaps with coworkers while on your break. Find something that will keep your mind active.

5. Get some exercise!

Sitting or standing in one place for a long time will induce fatigue. Walk around to get your limbs moving. Tired? Take a quick walk around and play Pokémon GO. Seriously, that game has some great benefits (just don’t do it when you actually need to be somewhere). Have a little more time? Go to the gym, run (I know, I know -- running) or do some squats. Doing some exercise releases hormones in your body that help increase your energy levels.

6. Last but not least, take a nap

Your health is the most important. If you have tried everything and are still tired, a quick -- keyword quick -- power nap should do the trick. None of those two-and-a-half-hour naps; those make you even more tired. But a quick nap gives your body to rest, temporarily, and gives you enough energy to complete your tasks for the day.

However, the best way to have energy throughout the day is to get a good night’s sleep. Something difficult for many people to do (especially us night owls, insert shameless plug here check out my article on night owls), but hey at least you now have ways of staying awake.