How To Survive College In 6 Easy Steps

How To Survive College In 6 Easy Steps

It's really not that hard.

11
How To Survive College In 6 Easy Steps

College, while super exciting and fun, is hard. Like really hard. The long hours of studying, no sleep, and way too much time spent in the Starbucks line is oddly the formula for success. In this, there are plenty of ways to get through college. When you are living at home, life is much simpler. Your mom or dad are cooking, cleaning, and supporting you through your endeavors constantly. When you are living away from them, you learn quickly how much they actually did for you. Here are my simple steps in how to survive college whether you are a freshman or returning college student. Trust me, they're super easy to follow.

1. Go To Class

Like Seriously. Go to class. If you aren't a morning person then perhaps scheduling an 8am College Algebra course isn't the best idea. Do like me and schedule your classes to start at say 10 or even 11. While your day may end later than it would if you had taken earlier classes, those precious few extra hours of sleep are totally worth it in my opinion. (As you can tell, I am not a morning person.)

2. Take Notes

When I say notes, I mean real notes. Not the ones that you scribbled your boyfriend's initials all over. Take notes that reflect the importance of the class material. If it's British Literature with context analyzation, you probably should have crystal clear notes. That way when you go back through, You aren't asking yourself who Matthew Arnold is. (BTW, You should totally check him out. Great poet, just saying.) If it's algebra, have examples of the different types of problems your professor is teaching. Keep a formula sheet in your notebook. Color code your notes. (You guys know I love my color coding systems.)

3. Get to Know Your Professor or TA (Teaching Assistant)

This is very important. When it comes down to having a problem with submitting an assignment or a grading issue, these people are your lifeline. Have their email, phone number, office location, and hours handy. In fact, you know that silly little thing called syllabus that they send you and you ignore? Yeah, you know what I'm talking about. Don't ignore that. It has almost all the answers to your problems. That's why they give it to you in the first place. Don't know where our class is located? Look in the syllabus. Don't know how to submit your homework online? Look in the syllabus. SERIOUSLY, JUST LOOK IN THE SYLLABUS! Only then, if the question hasn't been answered, go bug the heck out of them. Most professors have 100+ students. If everyone is asking things that could have been answered by looking in the syllabus, your instructor is not going to be happy. They remember you. They will remember your dumb question. These people can either help you or hurt you, so get to know them.

4. Make a Budget and Stick to It

This is mega-super important. College is expensive, very expensive. You've always been told everything costs money. Well in college, you find that statement is more than true. The price of scantrons, notebooks, textbooks, and pencils add up quickly. You have to prioritize your school over that cute top you see at Misbehavin or that tasty pasta from Old Venice. Check into the various types of bank accounts and the benefits they all offer. Some may be better for your spending habits than others. Try to save your money. You can use it for a rainy day or something super fun called "Spring Break". Maybe you've heard of it? Oh! and stop making fun of your mom for cutting coupons. Those really do help, so quit it. These little tips will totally help you!

5. Make Friends

This is just a nice little extra. Friendships make college a tad bit easier. They are there for you if you need someone to stand in that super long Starbucks line with. They are there to make you laugh when you want to cry. (Or do both at the same time, Shoutout to Kaylee last semester.) Friends will be one exciting part about starting school.

6. Don't Skip Out On Going Out

Like I said before, College is hard. You deserve a night of fun on the town with the friends you've made. You made it to college. You are on your own. Go out and experience they place you now call home. Be responsible! If you want to know more about going out in college, check out last week's article here.

* Hope these tips help you survive college! I mean I made it to my second year, so I must be doing something right!