Why The Eagles Are Better Off Without Chip Kelly

Kelly was a disease, but now the team can recover.

14
http://www.foxsportsradio.com/

The Eagles' season was over before it even began this season. This was due to the fact that they gave head coach Chip Kelly control over personnel decisions, which allowed for Chip to choose his own players. Generally this role is given to a general manager, so the head coach can focus on what he should be focused on: the play on the field.

So over the course of the off-season, Kelly made moves to bring in players of his choosing. His first bold move was trading away star running back LeSean McCoy for linebacker Kiko Alonso, who Kelly coached in college at Oregon. Alonso missed all of last season because of a knee injury, so bringing him in at the expense of the star player had Eagles fans, myself included, scratching their heads. Then he traded away quarterback Nick Foles for Sam Bradford, a quarterback who has battled injuries throughout his career. At this point, as an Eagles fan I knew Kelly was a mad man destined to fail. He signed star running back DeMarco Murray to replace McCoy, as well as oft-injured back Ryan Matthews.

I won't even go on about him bringing in Tim Tebow during training camp since he did not make the team, but it was at that time I was questioning why I was still an Eagles fan.

The season has now come and gone, and the Eagles won six games and lost nine before firing Chip before the final week of the season. When I heard the news on a Tuesday night that Chip was out, I was so excited. I now feel I can root freely for my football team without hatred towards the head coach. Now let me just point out a few things that Chip did to anger me and most of the Eagles fan base.

It started with the McCoy move. McCoy was the face of the franchise and a fan favorite. There is no denying he had regressed last season, but to trade him away out of the blue for a linebacker who was coming off an ACL injury? It immediately raised the question, why? Then I realized Kelly wanted to bring in a "Chip Kelly guy," which means someone who played under Kelly at Oregon. As the off-season went on, Kelly stockpiled former Oregon Ducks. Every time he brought one in it angered me further, because Kelly was simply looking to bring in his own guys with total disregard to anyone on the team he did not like. Chip let his power go to his head, and it was clear to see this was going to set up for a divide in the locker room as the season progressed.

Next came the trade for Bradford. Let's bring in a quarterback who is more known for being injured than anything he has ever done on the field. What makes it worse, the team's offensive line is not exactly a quality one. That makes complete sense. I should point out, Kelly did nothing to address the offensive line, so it was just a matter of time before Bradford went down. So who is next in line for snaps? Well, Chip decided to bring back Mr. Butt Fumble himself, Mark "The Sanchize" Sanchez. Sanchez is mostly known for eating a hot dog on the sidelines and running into his lineman's butt and fumbling, plus throwing tons of interceptions than he is for throwing touchdowns. So clearly Chip knew what he was doing at quarterback.

But have no fear, Chip brought in star running back DeMarco Murray to save the day! Problem is, Chip did not utilize Murray. That's smart, right? Chip underutilized Murray so badly, when Murray complained, Chip decided he would just demote him further to fourth string running back. Fantastic coaching there, Chip. Let's bring in talent and not even use it, while the untalented pieces of crap you did bring in are playing like everyone except you expected.

But now Chip is gone (end Chip Kelly rant)! That means the Eagles can move forward. Things can only look up from here. First order of business -- find a quality head coach and then give player personnel decisions to someone who knows what they're doing. Then, they need to correct the roster to the best of their ability.

My first suggestion - improve the offensive line. Please. That way Bradford may actually have a chance to stay healthy, if they bring him back. Speaking of Bradford, he is no lock to come back. The problem is, finding an NFL-quality quarterback is not an easy task. Because of his injury history, I don't think Bradford is the future of the franchise, but I think he could very well serve as a stop gap. Draft a quarterback this year, and groom him for a few seasons.

Then a decision needs to be made on DeMarco Murray. Personally, I want to see him get another chance without Chip. He clearly has the potential to be one of the best backs in football, and he had a season-long run for a touchdown in week 17 after Chip was gone.

So it may take a few years to get the franchise back on track and a legit playoff contender, but the first step has been taken. The Eagles' outlook can only look up from here without Chip. Let's go Eagles!