Dry: A Book Review

Dry: A Book Review

An enticing survival adventure that occurs when the water stops flowing.

28
Dry: A Book Review
Austin Bennett

Literature serves many purposes. One purpose is to be an escape from our world into a whole other one. The book Dry, by Neal and Jarrod Shusterman, is a realistic fiction story about parts of California running out of water completely. One normal day and a turn of the kitchen faucet. And then nothing. There's no water, anywhere. The event becomes known as the Tap-Out and society immediately begins to collapse.

The story is told through different points of view, all in the first person. The journey over a period of six days tests human will power, survival skills, and morals. There are multiple choices that are life or death scenarios. From the very first page to the end of the conclusion, you will be transported into the scary world that is unfolding.

If you like real-world stories, this is definitely a read for you. You will fall in love with Alyssa, feel for Garrett, be wary of Jacqui, be impressed by Kelton, and despise Henry. This ragtag team of misfits survives this catastrophic event through bravery, brains, and support of one another. They meet hidden heroes and hideous thugs all along the way, each giving them a harder test of themselves than the previous encounter.

Dry also raises a lot of awareness for our natural resources and how we haphazardly use our limited water supply. My eyes have been opened and the truly terrifying thing is that these events that are fictional are not farfetched at all. You hit the ground running, and never stop until the final words on the last page.

The true nature of humans is revealed in the 390 pages of Dry, each one more eye-opening than the last. You will become parched and will only be quenched once the story is done. I would rank Dry a 9 out of 10. Looking forward to Shusterman's other works and eager to see what adventure awaits next.