How To Dress Like A Minimalist 101

How To Dress Like A Minimalist 101

Your guide to being and dressing like the ultimate minimalist; less is more!​

7996
How To Dress Like A Minimalist 101
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/

Is black and white your go-to outfit? Are blank walls and plants your interior design aesthetic? Do small details intrigue you?

This is your guide to being and dressing like the ultimate minimalist; an article that I have been wanting to create for a long time, hence the reason why it's so long #SorryNotSorry.

Minimalism is a term used to describe a type of aesthetic with very little, limited details, pieces, and forms. It is a design concept that is symbolized in various types of art from fashion to photography, music, interior design, and literal art itself. Sometimes it can be interpreted as plain and/or dull, but to my eyes, it is proof that simplicity is beauty.

As well as being an aesthetic, minimalism is also a complete lifestyle. It is someone that believes in the idea of "less is more." Someone that doesn't need a million things to be satisfied, but can instead live off of a limited amount of things to be happy and successful. It is about appreciating what's most significant in life rather than little, unimportant, materialistic things. Many religions preach ideas of minimalism, including my own. Although I cannot say that I am a true minimalist yet, it is definitely something I believe in and am working towards fully becoming in my life.

Now that you know the backdrop of minimalism, you can dress like a minimalist with the proper values in mind! Minimalist fashion is definitely one of my favorite types of styles. It's just such a classy, polished, but also expressive and chill look. Here are 10 ways to dress like a minimalist!

1. Don't be afraid to skip the jeans for some dressy/loose pants (although boyfriend/mom jeans are an exception)!

A girly approach to dress pants!

Culottes like these two pictures above are so in right now and I'm in love with them !!

2. Jewelry: Go dainty or go home (including watches)!

3. For accessories other than jewelry, it's all about the details!

Belts

Handbags/Bookbags/Satchels

Minimal fashion is all about shape, especially with bags!

Small bookbags are my personal fave!

Glasses

Hats/Fedoras

4. Long cardigans, long coats, long anything!

5. Snag some inspo from workwear/office pieces!

Like the fashion nerd I am, I lowkey stare at men/women going to work on the subway for some morning minimal inspiration. So if your aunt wears a blazer and takes the train to work, chances are I am staring at her on the subway (I'll tell her you said hi). Anyway, you don't need an app or even this article to see minimalist fashion. It is probably literally in front of you, stepping on your shoes in a cramped subway car at 8 in the morning.

Pair a blazer with a classic white tee, loose jeans, and your favorite sneakers for that chill-cool look.

6. Ditch the crop tops and bodysuits for loose, modest, and comfy clothes!

Who said you have to show skin to be beautiful?

7. Grab some pieces from the guy in your life's closet!

Men's fashion is immensely incorporated into women's minimal fashion. So don't be shy when you steal your brother's, dad's, or boyfriend/husband's clothes!

8. Limit your color palette to very basic, neutral hues!

Personally, dressing in at the least amount of color is the hardest part of minimalist fashion to apply. I usually dress in dark Fall/Autumn colors like navy, mustard, mauve, plum, olive, and waaay too much burgundy/maroon along with minimal tones because I can't resist them. Minimal tones include, of course, black, white, and gray, but also charcoal, cream/off-white, camel, chestnut, nude, blush and other pastels, taupe, and beige.

9. Basics are your best friends!

Basics are where the beauty of minimalism lies. You don't need expensive tops with a bunch of sequins or bold fabric to stand out! All you need are some everyday tops styled with detail and sophistication.

The golden rule of minimal fashion: build your outfits off of basics, and work your way up from there. This includes basic tops, pants, shoes, everything. Even limited patterns!

10. Layer, layer, layer!

Layering is such a simple way to make you look very put together and make it look like you took forever to plan your outfit when in reality it probably took you less than 5 minutes!

Go to shops for the best minimal pieces:

1. H&M

2. Zara

3. Uniqlo

4. Oak & Fort (very overpriced, but if you have the budget this is the best. I use this shop as my main minimal inspiration bc ya gurl doesn't have that type of money.)

5. Thrift Shopping (you can find some amazing pieces sometimes)!

6. Forever 21 (not amazing for minimal fashion, but if you really look, especially on the F21 website, you can find some great pieces)

Some of my minimalist inspirations:

1. ToThe9s - YouTube channel

"To The 9s" is a YouTube channel run by Cassie Masangkay and Ricci Pamintuan, two girls from Vancouver, Canada that have amazing minimal and street style. They are definitely a huge reason I love minimal fashion so much since they are so polished and simply chic!

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhVHgBfJKGB4WTr8...

Instagram: @wearetothe9s

https://www.instagram.com/wearetothe9s/

2. Subhi Taha

Subhi Taha is a male fashion designer from Texas that has his own Islamic-inspired minimal collection. He also makes fashion and comedy related YouTube videos. He is a true minimalist in that he is a minimalist in his actions, religious beliefs, and fashion. So inspiring!

https://www.youtube.com/user/subeeTube

Instagram: @subhi.taha

https://www.instagram.com/subhi.taha/

3. Dina Tokio

Dina Tokio is a fashion designer and beauty blogger. She is not recognized as a minimalist as her style is a mix of many different types. But it is her modesty and elegance even with pops of color and bold prints that make her outfits so minimalistically stylish! She is without a doubt my favorite icon in the fashion industry!

YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_KQKeg7kNrlvrIXP...

Instagram: @dinatokio

https://www.instagram.com/dinatokio/

This article was way longer than I expected it to be, but I still know that I could have written so much more to be honest. Haha! I hope you gained some minimalist inspiration for your next outfit from some of my tips! Now go splurge on some pointed toe loafers and collared blouses!