Downtown Bowling Green Then And Now

Downtown Bowling Green Then And Now

Welcome to memory lane!

4281
Downtown Bowling Green Then And Now

Those of us who attend or have attended Bowling Green State University (BGSU) have walked or driven through the downtown area on North and South Main Street. We look at the buildings and the structures as we pass. When I look at the buildings in downtown Bowling Green, I can tell that they have been around for a long time. So, it hit me, "What was it like in downtown Bowling Green a long time ago? What were the names of the restaurants, stores, clubs, etc. back then?" I was able to do some research and it blew me away when I compared what they were then and what they are now. As a current BGSU student, you too will be amazed. If you are a BGSU alum, welcome back to memory lane!

Then: Sears

Sears eventually moved to Woodland Mall (the small). It's sort of an odd location for a Sears, but it was not a huge store back then.

Now: One49

Who would have thought that a Sears would turn into one of the most popular bars in downtown Bowling Green?

Then: Cassidy's

Cassidy's was one of the typical local restaurants in the 1970's. After Cassidy's, it turned into Buffalo Wild Wings.

Now: Stone's Throw

In 2012, The Stone's Throw opened in the location that it is at today. I have only eaten there once and their burgers are excellent. It might not be a bad place to hang out at for St. Patrick's Day. I mean, it is an Irish Pub.

Then: J.C. Penny

Normally, you see a J.C. Penny at a mall, but not at Bowling Green, Ohio. If J.C. Penny was still here, I would go there all of the time.

Now: Ace Hardware

It went from a store selling clothes to a store selling tools and hardware. That's a little bit of a downfall, but Ace is quite a successful company.

Then: Ross Bakery

I have always said that Bowling Green needs to have a bakery because I am always hungry for pie or cake. I guess that going to the bakery in Meijer will have to do.

Now- Pisanellos

Although it would have been cool to have the bakery around, I do like Pisanello's a lot. It's probably one of my favorite pizza places in the area.

Then: Howard's Bar and Restaurant

There is a Howard's bar, so maybe this is where they got the name from.

Now: Wood County Library

In 1974, Wood County Library was built in this location. They have made some renovations since it was first built, which look very nice. It's hard to believe that this location was once completely different.

Then: Millikin Hotel/Uhlman's Ladies Apparel

Above the store was a hotel for those who wanted to enjoy the "city life" in downtown Bowling Green. The building itself was built in 1896.

Now: Jedd's

Today, Milikin Hotel is still around, but it's used for apartments. They are more like studio rooms, but I think that it is very cool to see the bulding being used for people to stay in. As you can see, it went from a woman's store to a bar/restaurant called Jedd's. Their fireballs are quite delicious!

Then: Cla-zel (Movie Theater)

Built in the 1920's, Bowling Green brought a movie theater into town for fun entertainment. I mean, you could go out to the bars, but why not take a weekend off and go see a movie?

Now: Cla-zel (Club)

As we know today, Cla-Zel is not much of a movie theater anymore. Yeah, they have a few nights where they show movies on the big screen, but that is not what they are known for. It is now a club, but, from what I have heard, they are no longer open on the weekends. It is quite sad because I know a few alums who went to Cla-Zel to see a movie.

Then: Corner Grill

The Corner Grill, what an original name for a restaurant that is right around the "corner." There's no way a place like this could still be around.

Now- Corner Grill

Well, I lied. The Corner Grill is still around today. Sadly enough, a fire occurred a few weeks ago in the kitchen and it has been closed since. I don't know if they will continue like this, but please do make a donation to the Corner Grill to help pay for the damage. I have eaten here for breakfast and it is really good. The inside of the place seemed to never change.

Then: Klever's Jewelry

I found this picture of Klever's Jewelry and noticed that it was also located in the building to the right of it. However, for the sake of this article, I'll stick with this picture.

Now: Trotter's

I have yet to go to this place but I have heard a lot of positives about Trotter's. I have heard good things about their steaks and someone mentioned something about their shakes. It's quite funny that it went from a jewelry store to a bar.

Then: Kaufman's

Kaufman's was just another local restaurant to eat at. I tried to find out more about the restaurant, but I only know that the building itself was built in 1892.

Now: Sam B's

My cousin, who is an alum at BGSU, used to work at Sam B's as a waitress or bartender. I have eaten here once and I had a sandwich. I think that I need to eat here one more time before I graduate.

Then: Lasalle's (Before Macy's)

You learn something new every day. I found this picture of Lasalle's and then I found another picture of Macy's at this location. Well, the Macy's bought Lasalle's and that is how Macy's was founded.

Now: Panera Bread

There's quite a difference in today's world. It went from clothes to food and jewelry. Although, I do like Panera Bread. That soup and sandwich combo is pretty amazing.

Then: Bringham's Flowers

You can't go wrong with a flower store when anniversaries and holidays are right around the corner. You don't see many flower stores anymore.

Now: Grounds for Thought

I am a huge fan of this coffee shop. Who needs a Starbucks when you can come to Grounds for Thought, drink your coffee, and read a book or do a puzzle. They have a library section inside with children's books, popular reads, and even comic books. I love this place and I like to come here when I am working on homework.

Then: Sundance (the first store was called Some Other Place)

I tried to find a picture of Some Other Place, but I could not find one. It was named Some Other Place (better known as SOP) in the 70's and then it was named Sundance. Sundance was just your local bar to head to on the weekend.

Now: City Tap/The Attic

Now we know the bar as City Tap and The Attic. I want to personally thank the owner of City Tap and The Attic for giving me the information on this location. I could not find any information on the location. Thank you very much! Also, I enjoy these bars. The pole at the Attic is quite hilarious to see and watch whoever "attempts" to use it.

Then: Metamorphosis (not the rock)

I'm sorry for the red arrow, but it was the best that I could do to point out the location. Metamorphosis was a woman's apparel store. It's too bad that it wasn't a rock store. (I know, I'm not funny.)

Now: Beckett's

This is probably my favorite place to eat at in Bowling Green. They have some of the best burgers in town and dollar margaritas and tacos on Wednesdays. I'm sorry Metamorphosis, but Beckett's is a huge upgrade.

Then: Roger's Drugs

When Walgreens, CVS, and Rite were not around, Roger's Drugs was the place to get your medicine. The Rogers family were quite important in the community from what I have heard.

Now: Tubby's

Going from a drugstore to a bar is slightly odd, but we do enjoy our bars and the variety of them.

I absolutely enjoyed putting this together and finding out what things were like back in the day. Sometimes, I wish that I could go back to those days and go shopping at J.C. Penny or Macy's. I would love to go see a movie at Cla-Zel and go to Ross Bakery to grab some pie. If you were a student at that time, I wish that I could see it as you could saw it. I am grateful for what we have in downtown Bowling Green and I am especially grateful to see that the structure of many buildings has not changed.