The Do's And Don'ts Of Being A Christian

Our relationship with God is far more complex than the Do's and Don'ts of this world.

11510
Mountain Christian Church

I know what you're thinking. This is just another list of things that Christians can and cannot do. Something we get told our entire lives. Actually, a relationship with God is more complex than that. As you begin studying the Bible more and growing this stronger relationship with Him, you realize there really isn't a set list of "do's" and "don'ts" for a Christian. Your connection is going to be different from everyone else's on earth. I know that's hard to believe, but it's true. Your relationship is going to be different than that of your friends, family, denomination, husband, preacher, etc. God might be telling you one thing and someone else something different. It's one of the many beautiful and wonderful things about our God. However, there are a few things that all Christians regardless of denomination, race, age or gender should do and avoid doing.

Do's

1. Do love on one another, unconditionally.

Sometimes we like to believe that just because someone is different from us, it gives us a free card to dislike them. We think that because someone is from a different background than us it's OK to snarl our nose and turn our heads when they are in need. We think because we don't agree with someone's choices, we have a free card to judge them and talk harsh words behind their back.

"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8, KJV

God did not put us on this earth to condemn others for their wrong doings. That's His job. God put us on this earth to love. As people of God, we are supposed to spread our love like wildfire to anyone and everyone no matter their religion, race, gender, culture or sexuality.

2. Do read your Bible.

I know in this crazy, busy world we live in it's hard to find time to really study our Bibles. However, in order to build this awesome one-on-one relationship with God it is important to set aside sometime to really study his word. The Bible is kind of like our guide into the world of our savior.

"All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [ is ] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." 2 Timothy 3:16, KJV

The Bible is not meant to be a Christians manual on "How to be a Christian 101" but more like a beautiful novel that leads us into greater meaning and joy in our lives.

3. Do pray.

I guess maybe even prayer isn't a good word. Let's say "talk to God." Rather, it's in your house, in your church, in your car or even at work. If you need God he will always be there. Don't ever be afraid to call out to him. No matter the need or burden on your heart, he will always listen.

"And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." Luke 11:9, KJV

Don'ts

1. Don't give up on Him.

God has a funny way of giving us exactly what we need exactly when we need it. Just because he doesn't answer your prayers right away, don't give up. Don't think he doesn't hear you. He always hears us.

" For the vision [is] yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry." Habakkuk 2:3, KJ

Sometimes, we give up on God because we think that he left some prayers unanswered. God never leaves our prayers unanswered. He just has a greater plan that can be hard to understand.

Also, if we wait long enough, we will be thankful for the prayers that God left unanswered because it leads us towards something greater than could ever be imagined. Just like George Strait once sang, "Just because He doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care. Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers."

2. Don't be afraid to stand out in faith.

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Romans 12:2, KJV

As Christians, we are born to stand out. People should be able to look at us and just know somethings different. If we confined to this world, our light grows dimmer and dimmer. Don't be afraid to be different. Don't be afraid to stand strong in your faith. It's what makes your faith so beautiful. It's your tool to lead others to Christ. When the world is telling you yes and God is telling you no, always listen to God.

You never know who's watching and you never know who you might impact. Your relationship with God is beautiful and unique. Now, go out there and share that love with others so they may feel the way that you feel.