Doolittle Leading The Eighth

Doolittle Leading The Eighth

In the early stages of World War II, General James H. “Jimmy” Doolittle found success with his participation in the audacious bombing raid on Tokyo.

202
Doolittle Leading The Eighth
Doolittle Raiders

In the early stages of World War II, General James H. “Jimmy” Doolittle found success with his participation in the audacious bombing raid on Tokyo. He developed his leadership skills while commanding the 12th and 15th Air Forces in North Africa and Italy respectively. From these opportunities, Doolittle showed that he held the right skill set for successful leadership at the operational level. In December 1943, Doolittle was given his greatest opportunity when he took command of the Eighth Air Force in Europe. Throughout the war, he used his innovative knowledge of air power to make crucial tactical and operational changes within the Eighth. Doolittle’s modifications included new flying formations for bombers, better use of fighters, and the addition of a scouting force (Glines 184). These changes supported his operational decisions, ultimately crippled the German Luftwaffe and helped the United States accomplish its strategy for victory in Europe.

The Eighth Air Force’s task during World War II was to provide strategic bombing and air-to-air combat over Germany. Specifically, the Eighth used its bombers to strike German industrial centers such as factories and production lines—also known as the “industrial web” (Jodl). The fighters were used to escort the bombers, and—under Doolittle’s command—they were used to attack the Luftwaffe in addition to escorting (Glines 184). The combined bomber and fighter effort of the Eighth was used to support the ground invasion of continental Europe while the Allies continued to push onward into Germany.

Before Jimmy Doolittle took command of the Eighth Air Force, Carl Spaatz and Ira Eaker also oversaw the unit. Although both of them led the Eighth, they each tried to perfect strategic bombing and its effectiveness over Germany; they did not get decisive results. Carl Spaatz commanded the Eighth initially when it was moved over to Europe, but he was quickly placed in command of all United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) in the European Theater (Tooey: General Carl A. Spaatz). With his mind on the bigger picture, Spaatz did not really utilize the Eighth to its full potential and soon enough Ira Eaker came into command. Eaker wanted precision daylight bombing, but this just opened the bombers up to an onslaught as they would be open targets for German anti-aircraft weapons and the Luftwaffe (Ira Eaker). In response, the fighters would have to stay and escort the bombers so the Luftwaffe would not take them out. Although Ira Eaker had some new ideas to improve the Eighth Air Force, it still did not provide the support that the US needed to win the war in the European Theater. When General Dwight D. Eisenhower became Supreme Allied Commander, he replaced Ira Eaker with Jimmy Doolittle in hopes that he could provide the leadership and changes that would be decisive over Germany.

Jimmy Doolittle was extremely intelligent, knowledgeable about aircraft and a confident leader. In July 1923 he attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), where he would earn a Master of Science degree and a Doctor of Science in Aeronautics; he earned both degrees within a span of two years (U.S. Air Force). Additionally, Doolittle effectively applied his knowledge when he served on numerous governmental aviation boards as an advisor. In 1929, he demonstrated the use of his instruments by boldly flying the first completely blind flight (NAHF). Lastly, in 1942 Doolittle planned and led the B-25 Medium bombing raid on the City of Tokyo, Japan. Although he had to bail out, Jimmy Doolittle was awarded the Medal of Honor for the success of the operation (U.S. Air Force). With such a record to back his leadership skills and familiarity of air power, Doolittle looked favorable to Eisenhower as the right man to lead the Eighth Air Force.

Once in command of the Eighth Air Force, Jimmy Doolittle quickly made favorable changes. His first change was the formation of the bombers. He tightened it up to keep the “cripples” in their proper places and to prevent losses from the Luftwaffe attacking the stragglers (Glines 184). This technique saved more bombers and ultimately led to more successful missions. Secondly, Doolittle began using P-51 Mustangs in his newly created “Scouting Force” (Glines 184). Inclement weather caused aircraft to have midair collisions, so his new scouting force kept the Eighth Air Force informed about the various weather patterns. It allowed them to fly more missions and prevented such weather-induced accidents. Lastly, Jimmy changed the motto of the Eighth from, “OUR MISSION IS TO BRING THE BOMBERS BACK” to, “Destroy the German Air Force” (Glines 184). Instead of having the fighters as escorts to defend against the Luftwaffe, under his new motto, the fighters would pursue—and attempt to destroy—the Germans. Jimmy Doolittle’s changes, including the concept of offense rather than defense, led to the fall of the Luftwaffe and turned the tables for airpower in the Allie’s favor (Steele).

After a track record that shows his genius in aviation and outstanding leadership, General James H. “Jimmy” Doolittle was tasked with replacing the less successful Ira Eaker and Carl Spaatz in command of the Eighth Air Force. While in command, Jimmy Doolittle used his intelligence, knowledge and confidence to the unit’s advantage. He quickly made modifications and positively changed the Eighth’s operational and tactical strategy. With these alterations, the Eighth Air Force transformed from a “sitting duck” bomber squadron to a lethal air power that could successfully—and simultaneously--complete a bombing raid while taking out Luftwaffe.