5 Things They Don't Tell You About College Athletics

From a Division III athlete's perspective.

588
Author's photo

Participating in collegiate athletics comes with numerous challenges that only other college athletes truly understand. Contrary to popular belief, this is especially true at the Division III level, where students are supposed to put athletics on the back burner, while still maintaining good grades and paving their way for the next four years. The transition to the world of college sports ended up being a lot harder for me than I could have ever imagined. I am ever grateful for the experience of being a varsity athlete. But know that, especially in the first year, it is a tough transition for everyone, no matter how skilled the athlete. Below are the five most difficult challenges I’ve faced being an athlete this year.

1. Missing other sports.

Going from a three-sport athlete in high school to only competing in one sport at the collegiate level has been the most difficult part of the transition for me. I am so used to transitioning from sport to sport after each season. At the collegiate level, however, my sport plays during both the fall and spring seasons, with an offseason in the winter. It has definitely been tough feeling “washed up” in my other sports. But I still find time to play other sports recreationally, especially during the offseason.

2. Time management.

Time management is the key to college, and even more so when you’re a student-athlete. In season, I practice six days a week for nearly three hours per day, and lift with the team for an hour twice a week. On tournament weekends, we usually leave on Friday night and often don’t get back until Sunday night. I really do have to prioritize my schoolwork in order to keep my grades up, unlike high school. And because athletics take up so much time, I also have to prioritize other clubs and extracurricular activities in which I want to participate.

3. Spending so much time with the same people.

Your teammates become your second family. But as much as this is clear from the moment you step on campus, it becomes your responsibility to branch out from your teammates. As a first-year athlete, I came in during preseason and the only other people on campus were athletes. Looking back, it’s been important to me to have other circles of friends so that I don’t get sick of the same people.

4. Being stereotyped as a varsity athlete.

Being a varsity athlete comes with certain stereotypes, not all of which are positive. Sometimes, it gets tiring to feel like you are constantly being judged when walking around and wearing team apparel. Not all of us like to throw parties, nor do we all drink too much. Also, We all don’t love the gym and working out. Contrary to popular belief, a lot of us are actually smart, too!

5. At the same time, my sport isn’t acknowledged.

It’s hard being on a varsity team that no one knows exists. The golf team has six players, compared to the football team with over a hundred players. This has been difficult for me because sometimes it feels as if other athletes think their team is “better” than ours, just because theirs is bigger. There are hierarchies in the world of college sports, and no matter what school you go to or what division you're in, people know who the "cool" athletes are. But after a while, you get used to it and embrace the benefits that being on a small team can offer.

Being a varsity athlete in college has its difficulties, but I wouldn’t trade this experience for the world. I cannot imagine life without being on a team. But know that being a varsity athlete requires hard work, dedication and commitment. And if you’re struggling, don’t hesitate to reach out. Your team is your second family, and they will help you connect with resources you may need. Being a first-year athlete is a tough transition, but it only happens once. Enjoy the ride!