Don't Quit When Homesickness Hits

Don't Quit When Homesickness Hits

There is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel.

98
Don't Quit When Homesickness Hits
Alexa Reider

I've said this countless times and will continue to say it, but my freshman year was hard. I did not handle the stress of being away from home very well at all. I called my parents in tears every weekend seeking their guidance (but mostly their comfort). Unfortunately, while phone calls are soothing and slightly help, it's not the same as talking face-to-face, and I quickly learned that.

It was difficult adapting to truly being on my own and having to fend for myself. Not having my parents there by my side was heartbreaking for me. I thought moving to college would be the perfect opportunity to exercise my rights of freedom and adulthood, but once that security blanket of my family was taken from me, I didn't really find being an adult all that great. I even started to convince myself that I didn't make the right decision for college. I became so depressed that I didn't leave my room on weekends and was miserable to be around on the few occasions I did go out. It was as if there was a permanent storm cloud hanging over my head and my head only.

Here's a little secret not many people want to share: everyone gets homesick!

That's right, homesickness is extremely common, especially among freshmen. Even the students who swear they won't get homesick will miss where they came from. I was one of those people, practically running out the door and towards my future, denying that I would ever miss my family and hometown. I was so very wrong. But I also wasn't alone. I didn't know this at the time and felt as if I was the only one not enjoying my first time away from home. This problem can be fixed, which is something else I didn't know while I was experiencing it.

First of all, stay in touch with your family and friends from home. You don't have to call them every day (but you can if you want to!), but with the technology we have today, it's fairly easy to communicate with people over hundreds of miles away. The next best thing to do (and I know it's extremely cliché) is to put yourself out there. Make some new friends, join a club, take up a hobby. Do something that makes you happy! I was so miserable that I refused to do things that made me happy. If I wouldn't have been so stubborn, maybe I would have beat my case of homesickness sooner. Finally, if the first two options don't quite do the job for you, seek out your school's counseling resources.

There's nothing wrong with utilizing these resources. That's what they're there for! I used this route.

Talking to one of the counselors on campus completely changed my perspective. It was incredible to have a free and open conversation about how I had been feeling, which, by the way, she informed me was totally normal (especially because I was a freshman). From that day forward, my homesickness seemed to fade away as time passed and I began to truly love being at college.

Homesickness is totally normal, common, and manageable. Remember that, and remember that you're not alone. Hopefully, these tips were insightful and helpful. I wish somebody would have told me all of this when I was starting the journey that is the rest of my life.

Don't quit. You are exactly where you are meant to be.