Stop Putting My Major In A Corner Because You Think Yours Is "Harder"

"Not to be mean, but isn't that an easy major?"

6226

I go to a school where business reigns supreme.

They have one of the nicer buildings, right in the center of campus, with a coffee shop and dining option, only available for students who pay for the business school upgrade with their meal plan. My friends roll out of bed ten minutes before class and still make it to class on time.

Unfortunately, I don't have most, or any, of these luxuries.

I am in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences as a Communications major. This department is housed on the corner of campus, on a hill, at least ten minutes from anywhere on the main campus, with no nice amenities in sight.

Yes, they started upgrading the classrooms but it doesn't even matter since the building is so far out of the way that it will never be a popular spot on campus. It feels like we were placed there as a third or fourth thought, not even good enough to be placed on the main campus, even though it is the most popular major in the liberal arts school.

No one likes to be put in the corner, especially when it is by a school that you pay to attend.

While I understand that every major has its own spot, why does mine, one that already has an unwarranted bad reputation, have to be there? I feel like it is the cherry on top of an already frustrating situation. First, I have to defend myself and my future and then deal with the school pushing us into a corner.

When people ask me what my major is, I usually get a mixture of:

"Oh......"

"What are you going to do with that?"

And "Not to be mean, but isn't that an easy major?"

It is never the "That is great for you!" or "Wow that is impressive! You must be really smart" responses that my business and engineering friends get when they discuss their own majors.

And you know what, I'll admit it. Communications isn't as hard as maybe engineering or physics or neuroscience.

But it definitely doesn't deserve to be deemed an easy major – nor does any major.

Everyone is different and people have their strengths and weaknesses. Just because my strengths happen to include writing and speaking and not math does not give anyone the right to disregard what I am doing and how hard I am working.

I love my major and actually enjoy going to my classes.

Communications allows me to be flexible with my future but still gives me the skills to be an active participant and contributor to whatever field I go into.

Even if a business degree would guarantee me a job after graduation or an engineering diploma would increase my starting salary, what is the point if I am not happy? I am confident in myself and my abilities that I know my post-graduation plans will work out, even without the support that other majors receive.

Communication majors may not be the focus of the corporate world but we are not to be ignored or belittled. Nobody puts my major in the corner, especially if I have anything to say about it.