Don't Let Words Define Who You Are

Don't Let Words Define Who You Are

Words are just words, they don't define who you are.
438

Being girls, it seems impossible to go through life without having something said about us; whether it's the truth or not. The words that are said can sting and hurt, especially coming from a best friend, co-worker or family member. What they don't realize is, the words they say can define us, if we let them.

Going through high school, it's common to hear your name brought up in the bathroom. You might hear that some girls are calling you "fat" or "annoying" and shortly afterward, you start to believe them. Even if you are five pounds overweight compared to how they look, they will call you "fat." They could be calling you annoying because you are just trying to be a good friend and keep up with them.

After high school, it gets a little easier. The more we mature the less is said, but not everyone matures at the same time. Once you hit college, you start to worry that girls are talking about you. You see them whisper to their neighbor in class and instantly assume that it's about you. They talk about how they don't understand why you decide to wear workout clothes everything and they think it's tacky. No one will every understand what goes on in your day.

The worst part about hearing things said about you, is when you are at work. You try so hard to get along with everyone and be nice, but no matter how you act someone is going to dislike something about you. You can't control what people say and how they act, but you can control how you react to the words being said.

It's easier said than done, but you can't let those words define who you are. If someone doesn't like your hairstyle, body jewelry or personality you can't help it. If you are happy with the way you look and the way you act, then that's all that matters.

You will find true friends who will love you for you who are and not judge you. They won't go behind your back and say "words" that aren't true or judgmental towards you. You'll realize in life that soon enough the words won't matter anymore. Others can say as much as they want about you, but as long as you hold your head high you can make it through.

Don't let words define who you are. Stand tall and be proud of who you are. Live your life to the fullest and treasure the friends you have. Don't sweat the small things in life, because they aren't worth it. Smell the fresh air and sing along with the birds, because each day is a new day, and words are just words. If you let them control your life then you will lose your true self and won't ever want to go back. Just push the words aside and live your life the way you want to.