Don't Let A Boy Define Your Worth

Don't Let A Boy Define Your Worth

"Love is not confusing your body for his midnight snack."

389
Don't Let A Boy Define Your Worth
Alyssa Martinez

You once met a boy.

After loving people so deeply, he leaves as if you were a mere time-filler. You spend years trying to stitch the wounds that were left in your scarred heart.

You found hope in the embrace of his arms. You found comfort in the crooks of his smile. You found love in the space between your lips in the split seconds before your souls collided.

But it wasn’t love. Or passion. Or anything in between.

He’ll tell you how your eyes are unlike any he’s ever seen; that they are mesmerizing, captivating, awe-inspiring. As his words seep into your skin and run through your bloodstream, you don’t notice the creeping hands unbuttoning your jeans. He’ll tell you that you are beautiful as he’s dragging his fingers along your body. He’ll kiss you like he means it.

Then he leaves. No explanation. No calls or messages apologizing for the heartache that he has brought upon you. Nothing.

You thought you had found the one.

But just because your skin meshed with his and his fingers left tattoos on your skin, just because you kissed as if you were both half drunk, holding on to each other feeling like if you were to let go, you’d surely collapse... just because you had fireflies dancing in your belly and electricity coursing through your veins, it doesn’t qualify as being love.

He left you because he never really cared in the first place.

You are constantly telling yourself that you are worth so much more, that you are to be adored and cherished. But instead you continue to find worth only when his hands are down your pants.

You were not created to be an object of pleasure for a guy that cared little about your existence and more about their curiosity of you. You were not created to be the girl he calls beautiful only when you are wrapped naked in his arms at 2 a.m.

You don’t find your worth in a guy. You find your worth within yourself and then find a guy who’s worthy of you.

You are not just 20 minutes of pure lust.