Don’t Forget About Yourself

Don’t Forget About Yourself

Your happiness is the most important yet the most forgotten

458
Tumblr

As a 19-year-old college student, I know I am not the definition of wise. I have many years ahead of me to learn my life lessons and go through the ups and downs of life. Although I am not wisest, I am one to pay attention to the ones around me and see things that they don’t. What do I see? Way too many people focusing on other’s happiness instead of their own.

To the moms running around trying to please their children’s every need while also working and trying to bring happiness to their husbands,

To the dads out there trying to take care of kids, work full time, and keep their wives happy,

To the college students trying to deal with classes, a job, relationships, friendships, and trying to please their parents,

To the high school student trying to go to school, have a job, look at colleges, and keep friendships and relationships,

STOP.

Take a second and ask what you have done for YOURSELF this week.

Did you go get yourself food or coffee? Not because you were starving and had to eat and not because you needed the coffee strictly to stay awake or needed the caffeine. Did you do it just because you knew it would make yourself happy?

Have you bought yourself new clothes? Not because you ran out of shorts or shirts, but because you wanted and it brought YOU happiness.

Have you took time to do something YOU love? Did you go on a nature walk, go to the beach, or go see a movie, because YOU wanted and because it was YOUR choice?

We get so caught up in life that we forget about ourselves. We build up so much stress doing things we “need” to do and never spend enough time doing things to relieve that stress and bring ourselves genuine happiness. As a society, we get so focused on trying to keep our friendships and relationship that we forget what we as individuals need. We forget to care of ourselves. As sad as it is, those friendships and relationships can end any day. At the end of the day the only one that is truly there is you. So why do we forget to do things that bring yourselves the joy and happiness we spend so much time trying to bring others? Always treat yourself and have more respect for yourself than you do for others.

Find joy in the simplicity of every day. Be optimistic and keep a happy mind and a hopeful heart. Life has its ups and downs and it is easy to only realize the downs. Keep your head held high, high enough to see past the stress and routine of everyday. Positivity and optimism is what you deserve to experience daily. Stop trying to please others and start finding happiness in every day.