Don't Get Discouraged By The Use Of One Word

You might need the word more than ever.

9

"However" seems to be the word that kills the mood. You get all excited about whatever it is you're being told, and then once that word enters the conversation, your feelings just turn upside down. You feel discouraged, just wishing that you could be perfect and that the word "however" didn't have to be used.

I recently published an article where I emphasized how we tend to ponder on our mistakes, no matter what the severity is. Here, almost the same concept is applied. What we're being told is all positive, and then when the dreadful word enters, we tend to dwell on those negative aspects.

So you didn't get what you wanted. Or, you committed an error. Maybe someone just disagreed with you. Whatever the case may be, you've been let down somehow.

"However" is such a powerful word, isn't it?

It is powerful in its negative aspect. But what about the other side? Where you learn and grow? What about the fact that whatever the case may be, the word is used for the best result possible?

"You can take my car out tonight. HOWEVER, you must return it return home by 9 PM." - My mother or father

Admittedly, my parents were always very strict on me using their cars before I finally got my own. I would only be able to use a car when they didn't need to leave the house and I'd also have to make sure I'm being considerate of how much gas I'm using. In the times that they allowed me to borrow the set of wheels, I was very joyful and grateful as the 16-year-old kid that I was. However (look, I used the word), when they told me I had a curfew and I had to put that car back in the parking lot by a certain time, I would tend to feel that all the fun was being taken away from me.

HOWEVER, I'm grateful my parents enforced rules like these on me. I may not have liked them in the time that they were holding me accountable, but looking back a few years later, I realize now that is was only fair. Quite frankly, it was meant to keep me safe from the dangers of the night and having these privileges was part of how I developed throughout my teenage years. I have learned a great deal about responsibility, and now, in those times I am out late with my own car, I take what I learn so that good consequences continue to hit me.

"This essay is really interesting. HOWEVER, it lacks a clear explanation to the thesis." - Your teacher

I have received comments like these on major assignments numerous times. More than I like to admit, really. Sure, I'm disappointed that I let my comprehensive skills slip away. But it also motivates me to put in more effort for the next opportunity and to become a better writer. It's part of how I've gotten to where I am today, and I couldn't be prouder for that.

If you ever get told "however," do not let it break you. You might need it more than ever. Don't take it for granted.