Why Donald Trump's Presidency Isn't The End of the World
Politics

Just a gentle reminder of how our government is supposed to work.

16
play.google.com

I know.

It's shocking to hear, but...the world isn't ending just because Trump is officially the president of the United States.

And there's one very simple reason for that. It's because the president does not have the absolute control over the country and the government that so many Americans foolishly believe that he has.

A system of checks and balances was established many years go by some very smart men who managed to create a country out of absolutely nothing. Doubting the abilities of a system made by men as intelligent as Thomas Jefferson (because, you know, the Declaration of Independence took at least some thought), James Madison (the Federalist Papers clearly did nothing to prove his intelligence) and Alexander Hamilton (who only brought our country from bankruptcy to prosperity) is an insult to the Founders of our country. Especially when people believe that a man who uses Twitter as a means of communication with other world leaders and his general public is capable of hitting the self-destruct button on the country.

Yes, Donald Trump has said some absolutely horrible things. And yes, he has done some very questionable things. But, he is not capable of taking office and turning America upside down. He cannot stand by and command things to be done when they go against everything else that has made America great for so long.

He has to answer to Congress, and Congress has the power of withholding funds for Trump's plans. Executive actions can only get him so far. Believe it or not, the intelligent, Ivy-League graduates who created our system of government feared giving one man too much power, which lead to an unequal distribution of power. And most of that power was given to Congress, because the legislative branch is there to make the laws.

And when Trump does something questionable? There's this thing called the Supreme Court that can step in. Judicial Review is a wonderful thing and when an act is declared unconstitutional, according to the court, the action is overturned, because judicial review almost literally means that the Supreme Court has the power to declare whether or not a law is constitutional.

I could go into a whole rant about how Trump's presidency will not be the end of America as we know it, but for now, I think the vague skeleton of an argument is enough. After all, maybe the gentle reminder of how our government is actually supposed to function is going to be enough to mellow people's fears. Maybe, just maybe, they'll be able to step back and allow our government as a whole to have a fair chance.