Donald Trump Will Be President In Days

Dear Donald Trump,

You get sworn into office in less than a week even though you lost the popular vote by nearly three million votes.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m wishing you the best of luck as president because it’s going to affect the whole country and a lot of the world, but I’m worried.

To be honest, I’m worried about what’s coming from you. You’ve spewed more and more hateful rhetoric in the past few months, and Mark Hamill proved your tweets sound more the like the Joker than like a president of the United States.

Your staff took away your direct control of your own Twitter account during the election, and now you’re going to be the head of one of the most powerful countries in the world. That’s beyond terrifying considering all of the information you have access to now plus the relationships you have to maintain.

On top of this, the people you surround yourself with worry me even more. Your Vice President is against LGBT+ rights, your Secretary of State has close ties with Russia, your Secretary of Education has tried to steer money away from public schools and speaks against teachers’ unions, your Environmental Protection Agency administrator prefers fossil fuels that destroy the environment, an Energy secretary who has proposed in the past to get rid of the energy department, your Attorney General is known for being racist among other things, and so many more.

See why I’m worried?

Not only that, but you’ve talked of being pro-life when you don’t understand what implications that brings for woman who could die from a pregnancy, and you’ve encouraged Republicans to repeal the Affordable Care Act without having a plan to replace it. It may be broken, but something is needed to protect millions of Americans instead of leaving them to be unable to afford the most basic of medical necessities.

On top of all of this, you have attacked anyone who has not fully supported you by insulting their work. Most recently, you have attacked Congressman John Lewis for being all talk and making comments you don’t approve of despite the fact that he has been a civil rights activist since the sixties. Congressman Lewis has more than proven he knows how to get things done and marched besides Martin Luther King Jr.

So while I wish you the best, I’m worried. Your plans are going to hurt Americans all across the country if you continue down this path. This isn’t a joke anymore. Your inauguration is later this week, and what will follow is concerning.

I ask you to take a step back and actually think for once. There is already plenty of outrage about many of your actions, and people are becoming more and more willing to speak out when you mess up.

Don’t be fooled by the fact that you are the president. You can’t do whatever you want.

Sincerely,

A Concerned College Student