A Dog Is A Lifetime Commitment

A Dog Is A Lifetime Commitment

Not just a seasonal gift.

354
A Dog Is A Lifetime Commitment

With Christmas coming up, it is a very common request for a child or even teen to request a "puppy" for their gift, but are you ready for life after the puppy stages? The average dog lives for 12.8 years. Are you ready for 12.8 years? Will you have a child in the next 12 years, if so will you still have enough time to care for your dog and the baby? Will you be moving in the next 12 years? Will your next home be pet friendly? These are all questions you have to consider before you decided to adopt a super sweet puppy as a Christmas gift.

I am so sick of seeing people giving away or even worse selling their 8 and 9 year old dogs, because they are having a baby, moving, getting a new job, and the list goes on. Did you not think of that before you got the dog? Or did you not realize that your dog would live to be 10 years old as the average dog does? Very few people want an older dog, when people go to get a dog they are looking for a puppy. So when you give up on your old age dog who is suppose to take of it?

Puppies cost money! I know this is shocking to some, but especially when they are first born. For the first 6 months of life dogs have to get shots every month- 6 weeks. Someone has to be financially prepared to handle these vet bills in addition to the food, collars (they're going to outgrow the first few), leash, and the many of other small expenses that add up quickly.

Puppies can not train themselves. I can not express this enough. When you get a puppy it will not be trained. It will pee and poop in the house, it will chew toys, carpet, anything around them because they are not trained. Would you bring a newborn baby home and be mad when they poop their diaper when they're 2 days old? You have to be the same way with puppy's. You have to rejoice their success and punish their bad behavior. They can not and will not train themselves.Do your research specifically on the breed you want; not all dogs learn as fast as others.

If you aren't willing to spend the next 12.8 years with a dog as your best friend you should maybe consider a hamster for your next pet.