Do You Need A Flu Shot?

Do You Need A Flu Shot?

10
Do You Need A Flu Shot?

The debate happens every year. Should you get a flu shot or not? Do they really protect you?

In years past, I believed that the flu vaccine was a scam. Interestingly enough because my mother is a nurse, and I was vaccinated yearly when the vaccine became available.

It could be because I am deathly afraid of needles, and avoid them at all costs. This was until last year, when I actually got the flu over Thanksgiving, and couldn’t eat any turkey or sweet potatoes. I have never felt sicker in my life. Let’s just say I will close my eyes and get vaccinated this year.

“Last year was the first year I didn’t get vaccinated,” senior, Laura Packard said. “I unfortunately ended up getting the flu.”

The Centers For Disease Control And Prevention recommend getting vaccinated in late September to early October to make sure you are protected during the fall and winter months when the flu is easily spread. They also recommend getting vaccinated yearly, to protect against that year’s strain.

“While determining how well a flu vaccine works is challenging, in general, recent studies have supported the conclusion that flu vaccination benefits public health, especially when the flu vaccine is well matched to circulating flu viruses,” the CDC says.

You may speculate that the flu vaccine may not work to fully protect you from all strains of influenza. Some argue that the vaccine can be more effective some years than others, which may be true.

“It's not possible to predict with certainty which flu viruses will predominate during a given season,” The CDC says. “Over the course of a flu season, CDC studies samples of flu viruses circulating during that season to evaluate how close a match there is between viruses used to make the vaccine and circulating viruses.”

According to Women’s Health magazine, the vaccine is 60-80 percent effective in preventing the flu. If you go to the University of Alabama, nursing students give out free flu shots on the quad, and you even get a free sticker. Protect yourself and the people around you and get a free flu shot today.

“I got the flu shot two or three weeks ago on my way to class,” senior, Emily Kate Feibelman said. “I’ve gotten the shot since sophomore year, and I have never had the flu, so it has worked for me.”