DO vs MD - That is the question

As a pre- med student, one of the hardest things I've ever had to do is decide if I was going to take the plunge and apply to DO schools or limit my options to MD schools. From an outsider perspective, this decision seems easier. More options, more chances to get in, why not apply DO? Well, there is this stigma in the pre-med community that DO school is just not as good as MD schools. They are more flexible with grades and accept lower MCAT scores. However, as I've done more research, and set my pride aside, I've realized that DO school differs very little from MD school, and actually offers educational benefits that I would enjoy that usually are not offered in medical schools. DO, in essence, is just a different school of thought in how to treat illnesses. Unlike MD, DO schools focus on a holistic approach. Anything DO emphasize holistic. To me, holistic means DO doctors I taught to take a full body approach. They do not just focus on the symptoms detailed by the patient, but also the patient's history, lifestyle, stressors, etc and use all that information to form treatment methods. One thing I really like about DO is the stray away from over prescribing medications and emphasizing lifestyle changes like diet and exercise to improve, or complete cure symptoms. In my opinion, medications should be the last option – only after lifestyle changes have been attempted. So, if you are a pre-med student currently battling your pride, do not underestimate DO schools. In the end, we all have to take Step 1 and Step 2, so don't limit your choice just because DO is "easy". Do your research, and really consider if it encompasses the traits and curriculum that you believe are necessary for you to become the best doctor possible!