Do Something Good For Somebody Else

Do Something Good For Somebody Else

Why you should give back and where you should do it.

6
Do Something Good For Somebody Else
Unsplash

Lately, I’ve been feeling guilty because of how good I have it. I know how blessed I am, and I’m so grateful for the life I lead. However, I’ve been reminded this holiday season that not everyone is as lucky as I am.

The week after Christmas, I picked up a couple shifts at the rec center I work at during the summer. I had spent the previous week sleeping until noon and being spoiled with gifts from my family and friends. My 6:30 a.m. shift was sure to be the death of me after a week of no responsibilities, but I was ready to see all the kids.

It was great to get excited hugs and hear the kiddos tell me all about their Christmas and school year. However, most of them were less than well-behaved, probably due to the holiday break high, and it was easy to get frustrated with them. I was on my last straw with one particular little girl who had been difficult that day when we sat down to play a game.

“Will you play with me?” she said.

“Sure. Get the game set up.” I said shortly, ready for a post-work nap.

“Okay,” looking up at me she slowly said “I live at the mission now. The People’s City Mission.”

Talk about a reality check. Ever since that day I have been thinking about how nobody really knows what the people around them are going through. I also thought about how easy I have it, and how I really don’t have anything valid to complain about. While going through hard times doesn’t give that little girl an excuse to misbehave at day camp, it does give me a reason to give all the children I work with a little more patience and kindness.

Thinking about all of the people that are struggling to find food or a place to lay their heads at night while I have more than I could ever need breaks my heart. I always wish I could donate to certain events, organizations, and charities, but the truth is, as a college student, I don’t have money to be giving away.

I do have time to give away though, and I hope I can do more of that this year. I really enjoy volunteering, but it’s one of those things that I don’t do nearly enough. I always have an excuse, (I’m busy, I have no money, I have homework, I’ll do it next month) but I need to stop making those excuses.

I’ve been in the process of packing up all of my things to take back to college with me, and I’ve been finding a bunch of clothes that I don’t use anymore. My first thought was to donate them to Good Will or Salvation Army, but a little research has since changed my mind.

When you donate your clothing to a retail thrift store, most of your clothing is not going to go to local people who are in need. It is going to be shipped somewhere else for the store’s profit. I’m not saying that Good Will doesn’t help a lot of people out, but I am saying that there are alternatives when it comes to donations.

I looked up my local mission’s website, and there is a page on it that lists what the mission is in need of at that time. In the winter shelters are often in great need of coats, gloves, and socks. They also always need underwear and diapers because people don't usually think to donate items like that. The website also lists their drop box locations so it’s easy for someone to make a donation to the shelter.

Donating to a local mission can assure you that your clothing is going to go to somebody who needs it in your area, and not for a corporation’s profit. There are tons of websites that can help you find local opportunities to donate your time as well. Getting a couple of friends together to volunteer almost always leads to a fun and meaningful experience.

I know that I’ll continue to complain about things like homework, and jobs, and little inconveniences, but I always try to remember that it could be worse. I’m grateful every day that my parents gave me a wonderful life, and I hope that I can use the opportunities they gave me to help other people someday soon.