10 Honest Tips On Applying To Disney's Professional Internships

"It’s kinda fun to do the impossible."

754
Flickr

I’m so excited to announce that I have been offered an opportunity to take part in Disney’s Professional Internship, as a Communication Intern on the College Program and Interns Team! This is my dream role. It’s something I’ve wanted ever since I started my College Program back in 2015.

There’s a lot of people out there who also share this dream, and I want nothing more to help make that come true for you. Here are a few of my tips some to make you a stand out applicant.

1. Start a blog

Not only does it help improve your writing skills, but you get to showcase your passions. It could really be on anything, don’t be afraid to get your voice out there.

2. NETWORK ON YOUR COLLEGE PROGRAM.

Talk to as many people as possible. If you have the opportunity to participate in the Disney College Program, it never hurts to ask around. Talk to the people who have your dream jobs, go to the networking seminars, take notes and ask questions.

3. Talk to your leaders

Current cast members or Cps, your leaders are likely to know someone who knows someone else. That someone else just might have the job you want. Set up meet and greets and tell them where you see yourself in the next five years. They could be a huge help in getting your foot in the door. Everyone wants to see passionate people succeed. Do not be afraid to go meet with the people who you aspire to become.

4. Start a YouTube Channel

It’s so much fun, and you’ll learn how to meticulously edit video footage. It’s a great tool to showcase in your portfolio as well. Saying you can do something, and showing you can do it are two completely different ball games. Evidence is the key to confidence.

5. Build up your Instagram game

If you can run your personal social media well, imagine how well you’ll be able to run a corporate page?

6. Use LinkedIn as a tool

You can search for the people who had the roles you want. See what they did to get there. It never hurts to look at another portfolio for inspiration.

7. Internships

Experience is everything. If you can put on your resume that you already had a similar role, doing the things that your dream role consists of, puts you one step ahead of the next applicant.

8. Get involved on campus

Personally, I only had one internship during my college career, but I was heavily involved on campus. Join school clubs, honestly my position in a sorority was a HUGE help in getting my professional internship because I was doing exactly what I would be doing in my role. Not only is it a great time, but it also helps build your skills.

9. Look for keywords on the application, put them on your resume.

If you know how to use Adobe Creative Suite, list each program that you know if the application is calling for specifics. If you have videographer skills through YouTube, list that if it’s asking for it. If you know you are the best application for this position, show them that you know your stuff.

Don’t do over one page. Recruiters only look at your resume for maybe 10 seconds. Do your best to get your skills noticed.

10. Let your cover letter tell a story

Why do you want this job? What’s your story on how you grew your skills and where will you use them in the company. They say every story starts somewhere, here’s your chance to tell yours.