Disney+ Vs. Netflix: War Of Streaming Services

Disney+ Vs. Netflix: War Of  Streaming Services

In the battle of the streaming services, Disney has now thrown its mouse hat into the ring.

96
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2017/08/09/whats-consumer-do-when-disney-starts-streaming-movies-its-own/552074001/
Disney

Streaming services are all the rage today, with cable TV becoming more of a relic of the past. The way that people watch TV and films are evolving and changing. Gone are the days of waiting around for the cable guy to come to fix the TV.

Whether it is Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, CBS All Access, HBO Now, or even YouTube TV, the convenient way is now the better way.

Arguably, the premiere platform that started this streaming renaissance is Netflix, founded by Reed Hastings and Marc Randolph. Netflix offers no ads and unlimited access to a variety of popular films and television shows all for a low price. It was an instant hit with consumers.

Netflix has gained even more momentum over the years with their original TV programming and films that includes hits, such as "Stranger Things", "Orange is the New Black", "Narcos", "Bird Box," and "Bojack Horseman".

But no one stays on top forever.

Perhaps the only company capable of being a threat to Netflix is the House of Mouse themselves, Disney. Over the years, Disney under the leadership of CEO Bob Iger has built an expansive library of films and studio purchases from Pixar and Lucasfilm to Marvel and 20th Century Fox that has now culminated in their own streaming service, Disney Plus (Disney +).

Disney is not pulling any stops when it comes to Disney +. Disney's extensive library of classic animated films that include "Dumbo", "The Lion King", "Aladdin", and "Toy Story" will, of course, be a part of the lineup. The complete lineup of Marvel Studios films will be included as well, along with the "Star Wars" films and animated shows "Clone Wars" and "Rebels".

Additionally, Disney's recent merger with 20th Century Fox allows them access to major properties, such as "Avatar", "Home Alone", "Planet of the Apes", and " The Simpsons", with the latter available to stream for the first time on Disney +.

Following in Netflix's footsteps, Disney + will also be the home to original TV programming, documentaries, and films based on several characters in the Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar universes. The aforementioned streaming service will launch November 12, 2019 at the price of $6.99 per month.

When Disney + likely becomes more of a mainstay in the market, there is a chance that prices may increase. But, for now, the $6.99 pricing of Disney + is a major shot to the knee to Netflix, which recently raised its prices to $12.99. As if the pricing was not enough of an edge against Netflix, all Disney + content will available offline wherever one chooses to go, from the subway to a remote island.

So, if you are a subscriber, you do not have to worry about using data. In order to wage this streaming war with Netflix and the other streaming services, Disney cannot afford to put half of their eggs into one basket but all.

As Disney shows and films will slowly start to make their way off of Netflix and to the streaming service, Netflix may yet have one vital ace up their sleeve that will save them in the long run. Disney + is reportedly being aimed at a 12 and under audience of individuals, while Netflix is aimed at an all-age demographic. The more adult-oriented Fox franchises, like "Alien", "Die Hard", "Kingsman", and "Deadpool," would be great to have on Disney+ but seems unlikely for right now.

In order to grow exponentially as a service, it would be wise to try to appeal to an all-age market, but Disney has plenty of great franchises that it does not even particularly matter. Disney has already taken over in the animation and superhero department on the big screen, and streaming could be next on their list before world domination.